1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for universities in germany

1. Dec 15, 2012 #1
    Hi, I am new to physics forums and after reading various posts in this section, decided to ask this question; Any suggestions for good universities in germany for physics or engineering (in general) for undergrad studies. I have heard about tuhh, but still uncertain (http://www.tuhh.de/alt/tuhh/startpage.html) as it is relatively new. Anyone has any information on this university, is it very good?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2012 #2
    Try looking into Heidelberg or LMU (Ludwig Maximilians University) they have very good physics programmes there.

4. Dec 15, 2012 #3
    TUHH is reasonable, as far as I know its pretty small.

Typically universities that have good engineering departments also have good physics departments.
    You can have a look at (randomly sorted):

RWTH Aachen
    TU Munich
    FU Berlin
    LMU
    KIT (Karlsruhe)
    Uni. Stuttguart
    TU Darmstadt
    and others.

5. Dec 15, 2012 #4
    The reason why I am considering TUHH is because they teach their first semester or year (I do not know which) in English, completely. This gives time for international student (like me if I were to go there) time to pick up German language proficiency. The rest of the undergrad studies is in German. Btw is there any other universities that do this too?

6. Dec 16, 2012 #5
    I think there is a similar physics programme in Oldenburg.
    http://www.daad.de/deutschland/studienangebote/studiengang/en/

Learning German from scratch within your first year of university is not a realistic goal:

1. you'll be pretty busy with your technical courses and its probably your first time going to a university where the environment and study habits are different

2. The German language is not the simplest of languages

3. Its not about picking up a language, at university level its about mastering a language.

4. I know a number of people that spent a year or more learning the language in full time till they felt comfortable with it (C1/C2 level).

7. Dec 16, 2012 #6
    Leipzig has an international physics bachelor program that's taught entirely in English.

Try searching through the DAAD website. On their search you can filter by language of instruction.

8. Dec 17, 2012 #7
    Thank you for your responses. One more question though, let's say if a person is to get an engineering degree (bachelor), how difficult would it be to continue with a masters degree in physics in German universities (getting accepted and such). Because conventionally it is preferred the other way round if I am not wrong.

9. Dec 17, 2012 #8
    Generally everywhere in the world it is not easy to go from an engineering bachelor to a physics masters.

10. Dec 20, 2012 #9
    Thank you all for replying, appreciate it. Will look up further information.

11. Jan 26, 2013 #10
    May I suggest TU Dresden as a further consideration. It is located between Prague and Berlin and worth a visit as also the Saxon Switzerland and Dresden's small vineyards.

It's member of TU9, the nine leading German Universities of Technology.
    Recently it was crowned as one of eleven "universities of excellence" in Germany.

It has an extraordinarily strong connection to non-university science (where top-science takes place in Germany), especially in material scienes, systems biology and nanoelectronics.

DV Nano Germany has recently called it Germany's best university in the nanosciences.

Measured by industrial income it's Germany's number 3 after RWTH Aachen and TU Munich.
    The dynamics are satisfying, 1/3 of all TU9 patents are from TU Dresden.

The city hosts Europe's largest concentration of microelectronics.

PS: English courses are mainly limited to post-bachelor level.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook