Looking for universities in germany

In summary, TUHH is a reasonable university, but its small size may be a disadvantage. Heidelberg and LMU are better options if you're looking for a physics programme.
swsw
Hi, I am new to physics forums and after reading various posts in this section, decided to ask this question; Any suggestions for good universities in germany for physics or engineering (in general) for undergrad studies. I have heard about tuhh, but still uncertain (http://www.tuhh.de/alt/tuhh/startpage.html) as it is relatively new. Anyone has any information on this university, is it very good?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try looking into Heidelberg or LMU (Ludwig Maximilians University) they have very good physics programmes there.

TUHH is reasonable, as far as I know its pretty small.

Typically universities that have good engineering departments also have good physics departments.
You can have a look at (randomly sorted):

RWTH Aachen
TU Munich
FU Berlin
LMU
KIT (Karlsruhe)
Uni. Stuttguart
TU Darmstadt
and others.

The reason why I am considering TUHH is because they teach their first semester or year (I do not know which) in English, completely. This gives time for international student (like me if I were to go there) time to pick up German language proficiency. The rest of the undergrad studies is in German. Btw is there any other universities that do this too?

I think there is a similar physics programme in Oldenburg.
http://www.daad.de/deutschland/studienangebote/studiengang/en/

Learning German from scratch within your first year of university is not a realistic goal:

1. you'll be pretty busy with your technical courses and its probably your first time going to a university where the environment and study habits are different

2. The German language is not the simplest of languages

3. Its not about picking up a language, at university level its about mastering a language.

4. I know a number of people that spent a year or more learning the language in full time till they felt comfortable with it (C1/C2 level).

Leipzig has an international physics bachelor program that's taught entirely in English.

Try searching through the DAAD website. On their search you can filter by language of instruction.

Thank you for your responses. One more question though, let's say if a person is to get an engineering degree (bachelor), how difficult would it be to continue with a masters degree in physics in German universities (getting accepted and such). Because conventionally it is preferred the other way round if I am not wrong.

Generally everywhere in the world it is not easy to go from an engineering bachelor to a physics masters.

Thank you all for replying, appreciate it. Will look up further information.

May I suggest TU Dresden as a further consideration. It is located between Prague and Berlin and worth a visit as also the Saxon Switzerland and Dresden's small vineyards.

It's member of TU9, the nine leading German Universities of Technology.
Recently it was crowned as one of eleven "universities of excellence" in Germany.

It has an extraordinarily strong connection to non-university science (where top-science takes place in Germany), especially in material scienes, systems biology and nanoelectronics.

DV Nano Germany has recently called it Germany's best university in the nanosciences.

Measured by industrial income it's Germany's number 3 after RWTH Aachen and TU Munich.
The dynamics are satisfying, 1/3 of all TU9 patents are from TU Dresden.

The city hosts Europe's largest concentration of microelectronics.

PS: English courses are mainly limited to post-bachelor level.

1. What are the top universities in Germany for studying science?

Some of the top universities in Germany for studying science include Technische Universität München, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg, and Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin.

2. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for international students studying in Germany?

Yes, there are various scholarships and financial aid options available for international students studying in Germany. Some examples include the DAAD Scholarship, the Deutschlandstipendium, and various scholarships offered by individual universities.

3. What are the language requirements for studying at a university in Germany?

The language requirements may vary depending on the program and university. Generally, most universities require international students to have a good command of the German language, either through a language proficiency test (e.g. TestDaF) or by completing a language course.

4. Are there any specific requirements for international students to study at a university in Germany?

Yes, in addition to meeting the academic requirements, international students may also need to obtain a student visa, health insurance, and show proof of sufficient funds to cover their living expenses while studying in Germany.

5. Can international students work while studying at a university in Germany?

Yes, international students are allowed to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) while studying at a university in Germany. However, it is important to check the specific regulations and restrictions for your visa and university before seeking employment.