Looking to get into 3D printing and engineering

In summary, 3D printing can be used for a variety of purposes, including learning about the technology and printing models off the internet.
bmminc
Hey guys :)Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to start with 3D printing engineering? I'm kinda lost but I'm super pumped and very very motivated to learn this stuff!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You want to build one? Or just learn about them?

If it's the former start from here:
http://reprap.org/
Check out the rep rap forum too:
http://forums.reprap.org/
If you want to get straight into printing I would recommend buying a kit, costs a bit more but sourcing parts is an exercise in itself (and often headache inducing..)If it's the latter, textbooks on rapid prototyping will give a good intro to the various types of 3D printing.

One thing you'll need is a good working knowledge of a 3D draughting program to drive the printer. I'm going nuts trying to learn TurboCad.

The plug is not something you could do with a 3D printer, it's injection moulded around the cables and prongs. Also, mains electricity can kill so best not to play with it unless you are qualified to do so.

I'd be hesitant to recommend learning 3D modelling software too. Getting a handle on the software and hardware of your printer is a steep enough learning curve, getting a well calibrated functional printer is a feat in itself. There are thousands of great objects to print from places like http://www.thingiverse.com/ without having to delve into modelling software at all.

billy_joule said:
I'd be hesitant to recommend learning 3D modelling software too. Getting a handle on the software and hardware of your printer is a steep enough learning curve, getting a well calibrated functional printer is a feat in itself. There are thousands of great objects to print from places like http://www.thingiverse.com/
Sure, if you want to be stuck making stuff that you could probably buy with less effort and cost (factoring in the cost of the printer). To do anything useful, you have to be able to design the part that you want the same as if you were to send blueprints to a machine shop.

Danger said:
Sure, if you want to be stuck making stuff that you could probably buy with less effort and cost (factoring in the cost of the printer). To do anything useful, you have to be able to design the part that you want the same as if you were to send blueprints to a machine shop.

There is a massive online community of people with 3D printers making and sharing models of things you can't buy (for want of a better term).
I have experience and access to solidworks but The first 100+ objects I printed were models off the net (calibration parts, full set of spare & improved printer parts, gearboxes, peristaltic pump, cable chain, chess set, guillotine (for heatshrink), mecanum wheels etc etc); ie it was sometime before I wanted something that I needed to model myself. Some things I could've ordered online but they often cost an order of magnitude more than my material costs.

We apparently don't invent the same sort of devices. :D

1. How do I get started with 3D printing and engineering?

To get started with 3D printing and engineering, you will need to first familiarize yourself with the basics of 3D printing technology and CAD (computer-aided design) software. You can also enroll in online courses or attend workshops to learn more about the process. Additionally, you will need to invest in a 3D printer and materials to start experimenting with your own designs.

2. What are the benefits of 3D printing and engineering?

3D printing and engineering offer a wide range of benefits, including cost-effectiveness, faster prototyping, and the ability to create complex and customized designs. It also allows for greater creativity and innovation in product design.

3. What are the common types of 3D printing technologies?

The most common types of 3D printing technologies are Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM), Stereolithography (SLA), Selective Laser Sintering (SLS), and Digital Light Processing (DLP). Each technology has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of projects.

4. Can 3D printing be used for engineering applications?

Yes, 3D printing can be used for a wide range of engineering applications, such as rapid prototyping, tooling, jigs and fixtures, and even end-use parts. It is also being used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and healthcare to improve efficiency and reduce costs.

5. Do I need any prior knowledge or skills to get into 3D printing and engineering?

While having prior knowledge or experience in CAD software or engineering principles can be helpful, it is not necessary to get started with 3D printing and engineering. There are many resources available online and through workshops that can help beginners learn the necessary skills and techniques.