1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz force on current-carrying wire

1. Apr 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given: a quarter-circle of wire (radius r=0.75m) in a uniform 1.7T magnetic field carrying a current of 3.5A (see diagram)
    physproblem.png
    Find: The force on the wire.

Note: the connecting wires delivering the current to the quarter circle are parallel to the magnetic field and experience no force.

2. Relevant equations
    dF = I dS x B

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know of two ways to solve this.

The first is to use the fact that the force is path-independent and use the F = I L x B formulation; we're not supposed to do that, as this is supposed to be a calculus problem.

The second is the way my instructor suggested to the class, which is to argue by symmetry that the force is directed at a 45 degree angle outward from the origin. I can then treat it like a scalar integration problem and use the fact that the magnitude of dS is r d(theta). It's really a quite simple problem this way, but it only works because the problem is particularly simple.

Having done vector calculus, I feel like there ought to be a third way to attack the thing; it should be possible to parameterize the curve and do something like a line integral. The advantage would be that the same approach would work for a messier problem, where e.g. the magnetic field was nonuniform so the direction wasn't plainly obvious. But I'm not quite sure where to begin. I've got the following parameterization:
    x(t) = r sin t
    y(t) = r cos t
    z(t)=0
    0 <= t <= pi/2
    but I'm not sure where to go from there. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I haven't thought this through completely, but it seems the arc-length formula would be useful:

dS = (dx2 + dy2)1/2 = (1 + (dy/dx)2)1/2 dx

And then express dy and dx in terms of t and dt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook