Lorentz transformation using to find for vx of a missile

In summary, the problem involves a spaceship traveling at 0.80c towards a space station, and firing a missile at 0.40c. The question is to find the speed of the missile as observed by the space station. To solve this, we need to use Lorentz transformation and remember the definitions of the symbols involved. The velocity of the missile in the primed frame can be found using the formula v_x '=\frac{v_x - V}{1-\tfrac{v_x V}{c^2}}, where V stands for the velocity of the primed frame relative to the unprimed frame. The velocity of light, c, is not necessary for this problem.
ghostbuster25
I have a question which i believe is pretty standard,
spaceship traveling towards space staion at 0.80c it fires a missile at 0.40c what is the speed of the missle observed by the space station

I'll tell you where I am at;
I have set 2 inertial frames. A being that of the space station and B being that of the spaceship. I know i am supposed to use Lorentz transformation of;

vx-V
1-Vvx/c2

I believe the top part is vx-V = (-0.80c)-(0.40c)
the minus being used due to the fact its traveling towards the space staion.
Its just the bottom bit i don't understand. Its not as simple as i thought, I am not sure what value to assign to c. I thought it was the speed of light at 3*108 but at each example I've looked at they have assigned unique numbers for example...8c and 3c
CONFUSED!
ANy help would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got things a bit backwards. :)
It is very important to remember what every symbol stands for in these formulas. The ones you usually commit to memory deal with two inertial reference frames.
One is the S frame, which is assumed stationary, and the second is the S' frame, which moves with uniform velocity V in the positive X direction relative to the S frame.

Now that we've gotten our definitions cleared up a bit, let's try and reword the problem.

Your unprimed frame, S, is the frame of the ship. With relation to the ship, the station is moving with velocity V=-0.8c in the positive x direction. (Note the minus, since all our formulas assume that that the primed frame moves in the positive x direction, where in this case the primed frame actually moves in the negative x direction!)

The velocity of the missile in the unprimed frame is vx=+0.4c

Now that we've cleared up what every symbol means, finding the velocity of the missile in the primed frame, vx' should not be difficult since we have the formula:
[tex]v_x '=\frac{v_x - V}{1-\tfrac{v_x V}{c^2}}[/tex]
where we have already illuminated what every symbol means.

Generally, V will stand for the velocity of the primed frame relative to the unprimed frame, in the positive x direction. Unprimed quantities (t, x, vx, etc) will refer to quantities measured in the unprimed frame, while primed quantities (t', x', vx', etc) will refer to quantities measured in the primed frame.

As for your second question:
Most of these problems don't require that you know the velocity of light. It's a good number to commit to memory, and an easy one at that, [tex]c=3\cdot 10^8 \tfrac{m}{s}[/tex], but for the most part you'll get velocities as fractions of the speed of light, which means that in all calculations it'll end up canceling out.

And I'm sure you're mistaken about the examples you've looked at. Do you mean that they assigned numbers such as 0.8c and 0.3c? 8c and 3c are nonsensical velocities to assign to moving objects.

1. How does Lorentz transformation work in finding the velocity of a missile?

Lorentz transformation is a mathematical tool used in special relativity to transform measurements of space and time between different frames of reference. In the context of finding the velocity of a missile, Lorentz transformation can help us calculate the velocity of the missile from the perspective of an observer in a different frame of reference.

2. What is the formula for Lorentz transformation?

The formula for Lorentz transformation is:
x' = (x - vt) / sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2)
Where x' is the position measured in the new reference frame, x is the position measured in the original reference frame, v is the relative velocity between the two frames, t is the time measured in the original frame, and c is the speed of light.

3. How do you use Lorentz transformation to find the velocity of a missile?

To use Lorentz transformation to find the velocity of a missile, you would need to measure the position and time of the missile from the perspective of the original reference frame. Then, using the formula mentioned above, you can calculate the velocity of the missile in the new reference frame.

4. Are there any limitations to using Lorentz transformation in finding the velocity of a missile?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Lorentz transformation. This mathematical tool is based on the principles of special relativity, which only apply to objects moving at constant velocities in a straight line. Therefore, it may not accurately calculate the velocity of a missile that is accelerating or moving in a curved path.

5. How does Lorentz transformation relate to the theory of relativity?

Lorentz transformation is a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity. It helps us understand how measurements of space and time can vary between different frames of reference and how they are affected by the relative motion between these frames. In essence, Lorentz transformation is a mathematical representation of the principles of special relativity.