Lorentz Transformation and position of the object

In summary: You will need to solve the system to find both.In summary, the problem involves a reference frame S' that moves at a speed v=0.94c in the +x direction with respect to reference frame S. The origins of S and S' overlap at t=t' = 0 and an object is stationary in S' at position x' = 140 m. Part B of the problem asks for the position of the object in S when the clock in S reads 1.3 μs according to the Lorentz transformation equations. To solve this, you need to use the equations x = γ(x' + vt') and t = γ(t' + vx'/c^2) to obtain a system of two equations
Blue Kangaroo

Homework Statement

Reference frame S' moves at speed v=0.94c in the +x direction with respect to reference frame S. The origins of S and S' overlap at t=t′=0. An object is stationary in S' at position x′ = 140 m .

Part B
What is the position of the object in S when the clock in S reads 1.3 μs according to the Lorentz transformation equations?

Homework Equations

x=γ(x'+vt')

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part A, the Galilean transformation, easily enough. That came out to be 506.6 m. I've been getting the Lorentz transformation wrong and am thinking I'm missing something simple.

I used γ=1/√(1-v^2/c^2) and obtained γ=2.93. I then multiplied this by the Galilean transformation and got ~1485, but Mastering Physics is saying no.

Physics news on Phys.org
HI Blue Kangaroo and welcome to PF
:welcome:

You are missing a relevant equation involving the time transformation.

You just can't multiply γ "by the Galilean transformation" (whatever that means) and expect to get a sensible answer.

My line of thinking was since part A asked for the Galilean transformation (given by x=x'+vt') that that would go directly into the x=γ(x'+vt') equation.

So do I then need to use t=γ(t'+vx'/c^2) and then plug that t into x=γ(x'+vt') to get my final answer?

Blue Kangaroo said:
So do I then need to use t=γ(t'+vx'/c^2) and then plug that t into x=γ(x'+vt') to get my final answer?
Yes, you will get a system of two equations and two unknowns, the position in S that the problem asks you to find and time t' that the problem doesn't ask you to find.

1. What is the Lorentz Transformation?

The Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical formula used in the theory of relativity to calculate how measurements of space and time differ between two observers in relative motion.

2. How does the Lorentz Transformation affect the position of an object?

The Lorentz Transformation takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which can cause an object to appear to be in a different position depending on the observer's frame of reference.

3. Can the Lorentz Transformation be applied to objects moving at any speed?

Yes, the Lorentz Transformation can be applied to objects moving at any speed, including speeds close to the speed of light. However, at lower speeds, the effects of time dilation and length contraction are negligible.

4. How does the Lorentz Transformation relate to the concept of spacetime?

The Lorentz Transformation is a fundamental part of the theory of relativity, which states that space and time are interconnected and can only be understood as a single entity called spacetime. The Lorentz Transformation helps to explain how measurements of space and time are relative to the observer's frame of reference.

5. Can the Lorentz Transformation be used to travel through time?

No, the Lorentz Transformation does not allow for time travel. It only describes how measurements of space and time differ between two observers in relative motion. The concept of time travel is still purely theoretical and has not been proven possible by any scientific theory.