Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz transformations and vector fields

1. Feb 26, 2016 #1
    Hi Everyone.

There is an equation which I have known for a long time but quite never used really. Now I have doubts I really understand it. Consider the unitary operator implementing a Lorentz transformation. Many books show the following equation for vector fields:

[tex] U(\Lambda)^{-1}A^\mu U(\Lambda)=\Lambda^\mu_{..\nu} A^\nu[/tex]

The operator U should be a matrix with the dimensions corresponding to the representation of the object being transformed. Consider the spinor case for example!

I am getting confused by this. Should not the index on A on the left side be involved in a summation with one of the indices of U?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2016 #2
    I believe that the LHS is just the generic notation that [tex]A^\mu[/tex] is undergoing a symmetry transformation. That is U just represents a certain symmetry group. In order to perform the transformation itself, you must choose a representation for that group, which in the vector representation of the Lorentz group is [tex]\Lambda^\mu_{..\nu}[/tex]. It only makes sense for a representation to have indices because that is an actual matrix.

My jargon may be off, but that is the way I understand it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook