Lorentz transformations on Spinors

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of a Lorentz transform to a wavefunction in the Dirac equation. The Lorentz transform is defined by the exponential of the Lorentz generators for position-based and spinor-based transformations. It is stated that taking a solution to the Dirac equation with zero 3-momentum and applying a Lorentz boost will result in the full spinor with momentum p. The correct way to handle the x dependent part of the wavefunction is discussed and it is suggested to use the half angle formulas.
Illuminatum
Hi guys,

I'm currently struggling to show something my lecturer told us in class. We have that
[tex]\Psi\left(x\right) \rightarrow S\left(L\right)\Psi\left(L^{-1}x\right)[/tex]
under a Lorentz transform defined
[tex]L = exp\left(\frac{1}{2}\Omega_{ij}M^{ij}\right)[/tex]
with
[tex]S\left(L\right) = exp\left(\frac{1}{2}\Omega_{ij}S^{ij}\right)[/tex]
where [tex]M^{ij}[/tex] are the Lorentz generators for "position" based transformations and [tex]S^{ij} = \frac{1}{4}\left[\gamma^{i}, \gamma^{j}\right][/tex] are the spinor based generators for the spinor representation.

I have been told that if we take a solution to the Dirac equation with zero 3-momentum
[tex]\Psi\left(x, 0\right) = u\left(0\right)e^{-imt} = \sqrt{2m}\begin{pmatrix} \chi_{s} \\ 0\end{pmatrix}e^{-imt}[/tex] for (the sake of argument take spin-up
[tex]\chi_{s} = \begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
and apply a Lorentz boost to it, such that in the new frame it would have momentum p, we would get the full spinor
[tex]\Psi\left(x, p\right) = u\left(p\right)\sqrt{E_{p} + m}\begin{pmatrix} \chi_{s} \\ \frac{\sigma.p}{E + m}\chi_{s}\end{pmatrix}e^{-p.x}[/tex]

So to get a boost in the x direction, we want to take only [tex]\Omega_{i0} = -\Omega_{0i} = -\phi[/tex] so that
[tex]L = \begin{pmatrix}\cosh{\phi} & -\sinh{\phi} & 0 & 0\\ -\sinh{\phi} & \cosh{\phi} & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
where I guess I should point out that
[tex]M^{0i} = -M^{i0} = \begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\ 1 & 0& 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Then in the representation (which we have been using all through the course, and I want to use for this question)
[tex]\gamma^{0} = \begin{pmatrix}I & 0 \\ 0 & -I\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]\gamma^{i} = \begin{pmatrix}0 & \sigma_{i} \\ -\sigma_{i} & 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
I find
[tex]S^{i0} = -S^{0i} = \begin{pmatrix}0 & \frac{\sigma_{x}}{2} \\ \frac{ \sigma_{x}}{2} & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

So taking the exponential expression for S(L) I find
[tex]S(L) = \begin{pmatrix} \cosh{(\phi / 2)} & \sigma_{x}\sinh{(\phi / 2)} \\ \sigma_{x}\sinh{(\phi / 2)} & \cosh{(\phi /2)}\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Ok, so here are my problems...

Firstly, I'm not sure exactly how to apply the [tex]\Psi(\L^{-1}x)[tex] bit. Obviously I can find the inverse Lorentz transform and apply that to the 4-vector x, giving me x'' say, but should that then be plugged into the exponential as (-imt'') or as (-im p'.x'') or what...? And where is the energy contribution to the normalisation going to come in?

Secondly, the S-matrix I have found must be applied to the spinor components, and it does not seem to give the correct expression for a spinor of momentum p in the x-direction. Though maybe it does after manipulation of the half angle formulae...I can't show it is true...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you're very much on the right track. Here's a hint: working backwards, E + m = m(γ+1), and γ = cosh φ. I think if you apply the half-angle formulas to your expression like you said, you can hook up with this.

Ok, that relation looks like it might help, and I'll give the half angle formulae a go...

What is the correct way to handle to transform of the x dependent part of the wavefunction? Do I keep -imt and substitute the new t, or do I go for -ip.x with the new x and p?

Thanks

Illuminatum said:
Ok, that relation looks like it might help, and I'll give the half angle formulae a go...

What is the correct way to handle to transform of the x dependent part of the wavefunction? Do I keep -imt and substitute the new t, or do I go for -ip.x with the new x and p?

Thanks

Your first equation tells you to swap out x for [tex]L^{-1} x[/tex]. Now, note that if we write the rest 4-momentum as [tex]p_r = (m, 0, 0, 0)[/tex] then [tex]m t = p_r \cdot x \to p_r \cdot (L^{-1} x) = (p_r L^{-1}) \cdot x = p \cdot x[/tex] where [tex]p = p_r L^{-1} = L p_r[/tex] is the correct boosted 4-momentum.

1. What are Lorentz transformations on Spinors?

Lorentz transformations on Spinors refer to a mathematical concept used in the study of special relativity. They are a set of equations that describe how the coordinates of an event change when viewed from different reference frames, specifically from one frame moving at a constant velocity relative to another frame. Spinors are mathematical objects that represent the rotation and orientation of particles in space.

2. Why are Lorentz transformations important in physics?

Lorentz transformations are important in physics because they allow us to understand how the fundamental laws of physics behave in different reference frames. They are a key component of Einstein's theory of special relativity, which helps us understand the relationship between space and time and how it is affected by the speed of an observer.

3. How do Lorentz transformations affect spinors?

Lorentz transformations affect spinors by changing their orientation and direction in space. This is because spinors are representations of the rotation and orientation of particles, and as the reference frame changes, so does the orientation and rotation of the particles.

4. Can Lorentz transformations be applied to all types of particles?

Yes, Lorentz transformations can be applied to all types of particles, including both massive and massless particles. They are a fundamental part of special relativity, which is a theory that describes the behavior of all particles in the universe.

5. How are Lorentz transformations related to the theory of relativity?

Lorentz transformations are closely related to the theory of relativity, specifically special relativity. They were first introduced by Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century as part of his study of electromagnetism. However, it was Einstein who later incorporated them into his theory of special relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of space and time.