1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz Velocity Transformations Question

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electron and a positron are observed from the lab to move in opposite
    directions with a speed of 0.5c and 0.7c, respectively. Find the speed of the
    positron when observed in the electron's rest frame.

2. Relevant equations
    in attached PDF

3. The attempt at a solution
    in attached PDF
    ---------------------%------------------
    I would like you to check my solution, if it is wrong, show me where i went wrong, and give me a hint, if it's right, gimme a cookie!
    this forum has been helping me immensely with Modern Physics.

Please refer to the attached Document
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2012 #2
    You ended up deriving the velocity addition formula. I wonder why you could not just have used it directly. The result seems correct.

4. Oct 1, 2012 #3
    if i don't derive it a couple of times myself, i won't memorize it, and i won't know "what" it means, ...
    i was taught physics 1 by a great professor who didn't use except two formulas (f=ma, and a=+- 9.8) we had to derive everything else..
    i remember he said once when we told him it was hard to derive the displacement from the acceleration... he looked at us with such a stare and said "Wow... are you all really that stupid! It's not that hard"...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook