1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz velocity transformation problem

1. Aug 9, 2012 #1
    An observer on Earth observes two spacecraft moving
    in the same direction toward the Earth. Spacecraft A appears
    to have a speed of 0.50c, and spacecraft B appears
    to have a speed of 0.80c. What is the speed of spacecraft
    A measured by an observer in spacecraft B?

So if S is the reference frame of the Earth, S' is the reference frame of plane B, v is the velocity with which S' approaches S (according to S), u is the velocity with which plane A approaches Earth (according to Earth) and u' is the velocity with which plane A approaches plane B (according to B), then:

v = -0.8c
    u = -0.5c

u' = (u-v) / 1-(uv/c2)) = 0.5c

I am interpreting this as meaning that according to plane B, plane A is actually moving away from B at 0.5c. My book, however, has the answer as -0.5c, implying the opposite, i think?...is the book wrong or are my signs wrong? It makes sense to me making v and u negative because the formula for the velocity transformation was derived assuming that S' and the event (plane A here) are moving away from S, not towards...
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Aziza! :smile:

I think you're over-thinking this …
    … if we ignore relativity, and choose 50mph and 80mph instead,

then obviously B is going faster than A, so A's speed measured by B will be negative :wink:

(of course, this is a non-standard usage of "speed" :redface: … the standard usage is as the magnitude of velocity, so that it's always non-negative)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook