Lorrentz force law & vector notation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic field produced by a current element at a given point using the Biot-Savart law. The solution involves determining the differential equation for the magnetic field and finding expressions for the current element and distance in terms of a common variable for integration.
Roodles01

Homework Statement

A current element is 3.0mm long, centerd on the origin of cartesian coordinates, and carries a current of 2.5A in the direction ez.
What field does it produce at the point (3.0, 0, 4.0)

Homework Equations

This is obviously a Lorentz force law question
so . . . ∂B = (I ∂I (r-r0)) / I r-r0 I^3

where B = magnetic field
I - current
r - point of origin
r0 - point being considered

The Attempt at a Solution

B = 4∏x10^-7 / 4∏ x 2.5A x 3.0x10^-3 )(ez(3ex + 4ez)) /5^3

cancelling 4∏'s
B = 10^-7 x 2.5A x 3.0x10^-3 (ez(3ex + 4ez)) /5^3

The number bit is easy, but the problem I have is the vector notation.

Please, how do I do the (ez(3ex + 4ez)) /5^3 bit?

I have the final answer as
1.8x10^-11 T ey
[

Physics news on Phys.org
I might be missing something, but shouldn't you be considering the Biot–Savart law instead?

It seems to me like you're being asked to determine the magnetic field produced by a current and not the force on a point charge in an EM field.

Edit: I see hints of the Biot–Savart law in your expressions, so I guess it was just a typo.

If you start out with the differential:
[tex]
d\mathbf{B} = \frac{u_0}{4\pi}\frac{I d\mathbf{s}\times \mathbf{\hat{r}}}{r^2}
[/tex]
where ##d\mathbf{s}## is directed along the current and ##\mathbf{\hat{r}}## is a unit vector towards the point you're considering.

Then since ##d\mathbf{s}\times \mathbf{\hat{r}}## is always directed along ##\mathbf{e}_y##, you have:
[tex]
d\mathbf{B} = \frac{u_0}{4\pi}\frac{I |d\mathbf{s}\times \mathbf{\hat{r}}|}{r^2}\mathbf{e}_y
[/tex]
The problem is then to find expressions for ##d\mathbf{s}## and ##r## in terms of a common variable you can use to integrate over the whole of the current element.

Any help?

Last edited:

1. What is the Lorrentz force law?

The Lorrentz force law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that describes the force exerted on a charged particle moving in an electric and magnetic field. It states that the total force acting on the particle is equal to the sum of the electric and magnetic forces.

2. How is the Lorrentz force law expressed in vector notation?

In vector notation, the Lorrentz force law is expressed as F = q(E + v x B), where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

3. What is the significance of the vector cross product in the Lorrentz force law?

The vector cross product in the Lorrentz force law indicates that the force acting on the charged particle is perpendicular to both its velocity and the direction of the magnetic field. This is known as the right-hand rule and is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Lorrentz force law?

The Lorrentz force law has numerous applications in various fields. Some examples include the motion of charged particles in particle accelerators, the operation of electric motors and generators, and the behavior of charged particles in Earth's magnetic field.

5. How does the Lorrentz force law relate to other laws and principles in physics?

The Lorrentz force law is closely related to other laws and principles in physics, such as Newton's laws of motion, Coulomb's law, and the principle of electromagnetism. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of charged particles in various systems and phenomena, such as electromagnetic induction and the Hall effect.