Vector evaluation & Lorentz force law

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic force on an electron in a magnetic field. The Lorentz force law is used to calculate the force, and there is a disagreement about the direction of the ey term. The correct solution is determined to be -8x10^-12 (ex - ey + ez).
Roodles01

Homework Statement

An electron in a magnetic field B=2.0T(ex-ez) has velocity v=(2.5x107 ms-1 (ex-ey)
a) calculate magnetic force on electron at that instant
b) what is the magnitude of this force

Homework Equations

I am using the Lorentz force law.
F = q(vXB)
& evaluating the directions by vector

My argument is that the ey term is negative, but another person evaluates this as positive. Please confirm whether I'm right or wrong.

This affects the outcome of magnitude of force, too.

The Attempt at a Solution

F = -e 2(2.5x107) (ex-ez)* (ex-ey)

I ex ey ez I
I 1 . -1 . 0 I
I 1 . 0 . -1 I

= ex((-1x-1)-(0x0)) + ey((1X-1)-(0x1)) + ez ((1x0)-(-1x1))
= ex - ey + ez)

so
F = -8x10-12 (ex - ey + ez)

Physics news on Phys.org
Better believe your friend about the sign of the j term! (Re-check your determinant).

Last edited:
Ah! Having looked at it, I found that I didn't change the sign for the second term.
So simple it's annoying.
Thank you.

Roodles01 said:
Ah! Having looked at it, I found that I didn't change the sign for the second term.
So simple it's annoying.

Welcome to the club! :smile:

= (-8x10-12, 8x10-12, 0)

a) To calculate the magnetic force on the electron at this instant, we can use the Lorentz force law, which states that the force on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field is given by the equation F = q(v x B), where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field. In this case, the electron has a charge of -e and is moving with a velocity of 2.5x107 m/s in the direction of (ex-ey). The magnetic field is given as B=2.0T(ex-ez). Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

F = -e(2.5x107)(ex-ey) x (2.0T(ex-ez))

Using the cross product, we can find the direction of the force:

(ex-ey) x (ex-ez) = ex((-1x-1)-(0x0)) + ey((1x-1)-(0x1)) + ez((1x0)-(-1x1)) = ex - ey + ez

So, the force on the electron is given by:

F = -e(2.5x107)(ex - ey + ez) = (-8x10-12, 8x10-12, 0) N

b) The magnitude of this force can be found using the Pythagorean theorem:

|F| = √((-8x10-12)2 + (8x10-12)2 + 02) = 1.13x10-11 N

Therefore, the magnitude of the magnetic force on the electron is 1.13x10-11 N.

In regards to the direction of the force, both the x and y components have a negative value, while the z component is zero. This means that the force is in the direction of the negative x and y axes, towards the negative yz plane. Whether the ey term is positive or negative does not affect the magnitude of the force, as it will just change the direction of the force vector. In this case, it seems that you have correctly evaluated the direction of the force. It is important to keep in mind that when using vector equations, the direction of the vectors is crucial and a small mistake in direction can greatly affect the outcome.

1. What is vector evaluation?

Vector evaluation is the process of determining the magnitude and direction of a vector quantity. It involves breaking down a vector into its components and using mathematical operations to analyze and solve problems involving vectors.

2. What is the Lorentz force law?

The Lorentz force law is a fundamental equation in electromagnetism that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric and magnetic field. It states that the force acting on a charged particle is equal to the product of its charge, velocity, and the sum of the electric and magnetic fields at its location.

3. How is the Lorentz force law derived?

The Lorentz force law is derived from Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. It is a consequence of the principles of electromagnetism and is based on experimental observations.

4. What is the significance of the Lorentz force law?

The Lorentz force law is significant because it explains the interaction between charged particles and electric and magnetic fields. It is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of charged particles in a wide range of physical phenomena, including electric motors, particle accelerators, and the behavior of charged particles in space.

5. How is the Lorentz force law used in practical applications?

The Lorentz force law is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design and operation of electric motors and generators, particle accelerators, and magnetic confinement devices used in fusion research. It is also used in the study of space weather and the behavior of charged particles in the Earth's magnetic field.