Lost in the Distance: Navigating Measurement

In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem statement with disjointed information. There were specifications for expansion coefficients, a given temperature, and a question about a camera, but no mention of these in the setup. The train in the problem was said to get faster going up the hill, but it was unclear whether it was still engaged or had any brakes applied on the downhill. It was suggested to assume that the train rolls freely downhill and to determine what else is needed to find the speed at the bottom. The conversation also addressed the issue of providing all the necessary information in order to receive help.
fcici7
Homework Statement
The following information must be considered: the total mass of the cars and riders is 5225 kg. The train leaves the station at 4.5 m/s and it reaches a speed of 8.0 m/s at the top of the first hill. It takes 16.0 seconds to reach the top. The first hill (on the upwards and the downward side) is angled at 38o. The specific heat capacity of brass and the coefficient of linear expansion of steel are 376 J/kgoC and 12 x 10-6 oC-1, respectively. On the day of analysis, the air temperature is 30.oC. We will also assume that the station track is at ground level. In order to determine the length of track, use a piece of string and the vertical scale outlined on the graph.
With what speed would it reach the bottom of the first hill?
How long will it take for the camera to reach the ground?
Relevant Equations
Any kinematic formulas, Froce formulas and [work, power and energy formulas]
specific formulas were not given with this question.
I tried finding the distance but I later on got confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you a bot?

no? I am sorry if i sounded like a bot lol, i was just trying to write as fast as i can

fcici7 said:
no? I am sorry if i sounded like a bot lol, i was just trying to write as fast as i can
The reason for the query was the very disjointed nature of the problem statement.
It specifies expansion coefficients for two metals, but no mention of these in the set up.
One temperature is given, but no other temperature to compare with.
There's a question about a camera, but no prior mention of such.
There's mention of a graph, but it does not instruct you to draw one and you have not attached one.
The train gets faster going up the hill so must be powered by an engine, but we are not told whether it is still engaged, or any brakes applied, on the downhill.

I suggest you assume the train rolls freely downhill. You know its speed at the top and the angle it comes down at. What else do you need to find the speed at the bottom?

Likes Delta2 and berkeman
Considering the information given, one might just as well ask for the name of the train engineer.
fcici7 said:
. . . i was just trying to write as fast as i can
What's your hurry? It seems that writing fast caused you to skip some of the information that you were given. We cannot help you unless you post all the information that you have.

Likes Delta2 and berkeman

1. What is the purpose of "Lost in the Distance: Navigating Measurement"?

The purpose of "Lost in the Distance: Navigating Measurement" is to explore the different methods and challenges of measuring distance in various fields of science, such as astronomy, physics, and geography. It also aims to highlight the importance of accurate measurement in scientific research and its impact on our understanding of the world.

2. How is distance measured in space?

In space, distance is typically measured using the light-year unit, which is the distance that light travels in one year. This is because the vast distances in space make it impractical to use standard units of measurement such as meters or kilometers. Scientists also use parallax, radar, and triangulation methods to measure distances to objects in space.

3. What are the challenges of measuring distance on Earth?

Measuring distance on Earth can be challenging due to the irregular shape of the planet, varying elevations, and the curvature of the Earth's surface. In addition, factors such as atmospheric conditions, human error, and limitations of measurement tools can also affect the accuracy of distance measurements.

4. How has technology improved distance measurement?

Advances in technology have greatly improved distance measurement in various fields of science. For example, the use of satellites and GPS technology has made it possible to accurately measure distances on Earth and in space. Laser ranging and interferometry techniques have also greatly improved the precision of distance measurements in astronomy and geodesy.

5. Why is accurate distance measurement important in scientific research?

Accurate distance measurement is crucial in scientific research as it provides a foundation for understanding the physical world and the laws of nature. It allows scientists to make precise calculations, validate theories, and make predictions. In fields such as astronomy and geodesy, accurate distance measurements also help in navigation, mapping, and understanding the structure and movements of celestial bodies.