Low cost buck regulator for 12V to 5V@2A and 6.5V@1A

  • Thread starter Thread starter memoguy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    12v Regulator
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
memoguy
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Hi all!

I am looking for a low cost power regulation solution. Simply put, I need to be able to give a system 12v and get outputs of 5V@2A and 6.5V@1A.

I was thinking of using two of these with the output in parallel:
http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p/switching-regulators/6727124/

And two of these with the output in parallel:
http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p/switching-regulators/6727089/

But that would end up costing $40 and I am not even sure if you can put switching regulators in parallel like that.

So, I am looking for a lower cost solution that is easy to implement. It would be ideal if the components could be bought at RS or Jaycar.

Any ideas?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
memoguy said:
... and I am not even sure if you can put switching regulators in parallel like that.
I would think you cannot simply parallel them.
 
Looking back over past posts at the buck converters previously mentioned in construction projects, I note that vk6kro has referred to the LM2596. If price is a good indicator, it looks okay to me! http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=LM2596[/color]

I'd need to check the technicalities closer, but with 12V in, you are wanting –5V out? Also, +6.5V?
 
The LM2596 looks good. I am wanting +5v & +6.5v out.

I am not certain how I would define the voltage output. I am thinking I adjust that trim pot.