1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Low Previous GPA and Biophysics Grad-Canada

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    To summarize my life, I did undergrad in Canada graduated in Chemistry/Biology with a low and embarrassing GPA. Went to an offshore medical school for two years and once very unhappy- luckily I did very well there due to a change in attitude about academics. After much research I would like to go into biophysics. I have been looking into Canadian Universities - McMaster/York/etc and been discussing my options with several people.

Since they will be looking at my academic scores from undergrad only. Since my GPA is way to low, I was wondering whether its worth it to take a full year of undergrad credits to offset my final year GPA.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Most of the biophysics I'm familiar with has a strong emphasis on the physics - so you may be looking at some time in undergrad just to be able to qualify to get in. On top of that, the other question is: how low is low? If you're not competitive, then you'll have to go back to undergrad to get your GPA into a competitive range.

4. Nov 20, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the advice. When I say bad I mean bad, aka 60s throughout undergrad and a couple of Ds.

The plan is to go back to undergrad for at least 4-6 semesters, including summers starting January 2014. I really need to get a bunch of physics courses done. I'm hoping to get accepted into a Canadian program that uses final or last two years GPA for admission. I'm also planning on following the physics major outline at my old school, so that I get enough physic courses. I will have 7 upper level undergrad physics courses and 5 math courses.

I just wonder how grad schools treat people who had low UG, then take a bunch of courses to offset those marks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook