1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lower Limit of central pressure in Star

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I was given a question in school that says use the hydrostatic equilibrium equation and mass conservation equation to come up with a lower limit of the central pressure of a star at it's centre. Here is how I think:

1) Refer to the density in both equations as the same and sub one into the other.
    2) After I did I get: dp = -[G*M(r)]/[4*pi*R^4]dm,

Now from here, I want to integrate using dm and M(r),, but M(r) is a equation with respect to r... so I can't right. Is there some insight you can give me to derive a lower limit for the pressure.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2009 #2
    Assuming M(r) is independent of r seems to give the right answer but I can't figure out why. That's the only way I can see of doing the problem.

4. Oct 27, 2009 #3
    I think the trick is to use the fact that we only want a lower limit so if we replace the function with something we can integrate and is definitely lower we will be rigorously correct.

Starting with:

[tex]

dp = -\frac{G m(r)}{4 \pi r^4} dm,

[/tex]

Integrate from the centre to the surface (I've multiplied by -1 to get PC positive as that is what we are interested in. We will assume PS the surface pressure is 0.

[tex]

P_C - P_S = \int_0^{M} \frac{G m(r)}{4 \pi r^4} dm,

[/tex]

Now, we replace r4 (the variable) with R4, the constant radius of the star. Since r4 [tex]\leq[/tex] R4 over the whole range of integration we can be sure that the answer we get is smaller than the true answer.

[tex]

P_C - P_S > \int_0^{M} \frac{G m(r)}{4 \pi R^4} dm,

[/tex]

Do the integral and get:

[tex]

P_C> \frac{G M^2}{8 \pi R^4} dm,

[/tex]

This is a rigorous lower limit for the central pressure of the star.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook