Star collapse in general relativity — pressure as a function of star radius

R)##, which will then give you ##m(R) = M##.In summary, the problem discussed involves finding the pressure as a function of the radius of a star with a constant energy density, spherical symmetry, initial radius R, and total mass M. Using the TOV equations and assuming gravitational equilibrium, a coupled system can be solved to find the pressure and mass as a function of radius. A barotropic equation of state is needed and a boundary condition for pressure at the initial radius must be provided.
Lilian Sa
Homework Statement
How can I find the pressure as a function of the radius of a star that have a constant energy density, spherical symmetric, its initial radius is R and the total mass is M?
Relevant Equations
TOV equations.
##ds^2=-e^{\nu(r)}dt^2+r^{\lambda(r)}dr^2+r^2d\Omega^2##
What I've done is using the TOV equations and I what I found at the end is:
##e^{[\frac{-8}{3}\pi G\rho]r^2+[\frac{16}{9}(G\pi\rho)^{2}]r^4}-\rho=P(r)##
so I am sure that this is not right, if someone can help me knowing it I really apricate it :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Lilian Sa said:
How can I find the pressure as a function of the radius of a star that have a constant energy density, spherical symmetric, its initial radius is R and the total mass is M?
I haven't worked this through. The TOV equations require gravitational equilibrium, so I presume that's what you're interested and not the actual collapse (which I have no idea how to deal with)? You'd need a barotropic equation of state ##p = p(\rho)##; does the problem statement supply one? Then you solve the coupled system\begin{align*}

\frac{dm}{dr} &= 4\pi r^2 \rho \\

\frac{dp}{dr} &= \frac{-(p+\rho)(m + 4\pi r^3 p)}{r(r-2m)}

\end{align*}in ##m(r)## and ##p(r)##. You can set ##m(0) = 0##

1. What is a star collapse in general relativity?

A star collapse in general relativity refers to the process by which a massive star collapses under its own gravity, resulting in a highly dense and compact object such as a black hole or a neutron star.

2. How does pressure change as a function of star radius during a star collapse?

During a star collapse, the pressure within the star increases as the radius decreases. This is due to the intense gravitational forces acting on the star, causing the particles within it to become more tightly packed and increasing the pressure.

3. What role does general relativity play in a star collapse?

General relativity is the theory of gravity that describes the behavior of massive objects in space. It plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the process of star collapse, as it takes into account the effects of gravity on the structure and behavior of stars.

4. Can a star collapse be reversed?

No, a star collapse cannot be reversed. Once a star has reached the point of collapse, the intense gravitational forces are too strong for any known physical process to reverse it.

5. What are some potential outcomes of a star collapse?

The outcome of a star collapse depends on the mass of the collapsing star. If the star is massive enough, it can result in the formation of a black hole, while smaller stars may become neutron stars. In some cases, a supernova explosion may also occur.