Lower Q of Crystal or Ceramic Resonator

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fischer777
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Crystal Resonator
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Fischer777
Messages
89
Reaction score
1
I'm working on a school project that requires me to build a RF oscillator that is able to be started and stopped at about 100kHz. Ceramic or crystal oscillators would be good because of their tiny size, however, the high Q factor creates a problem. So my question was, can placing a resistor in series/parallel with a ceramic or crystal oscillator work to lower its Q? Or some other method? The project utilizes a super-regenerative receiver, so that limits the kind of oscillators to feedback.

Thanks
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Fischer777. I can't answer your specific question, I'll leave that for others to address.

I confess I'm not as brave as you. I'd look around at the work of others who have gone before, and I'd adopt something emerging from their toil. For example, a quick search found this design with a UJT-based quench oscillator:- http://members.iinet.net.au/~cool386/6tr/srrx.html

Good luck with the team project!
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Fischer777