Interfacing a piezo to an arduino

In summary, the speaker is looking to build a device that takes a pulse from a piezo crystal and interface it to a microcontroller. They are considering using a VR sensor IC chip like the MAX9924, which has noise filtration and zero crossing detection capabilities. The application for this device is a diesel engine timing monitor and they are open to other ideas, but have not found any specific chips for this purpose. They are unsure of the dynamic range and may need to experiment with resistor values. They have also reached out to Maxim for support. The speaker also mentions needing a charge amplifier to properly interface with an A/D converter and considering using an Envirodiy Mayfly Arduino board for data acquisition.
Rx7man
I'm looking to build a device that takes a pulse from a piezo crystal and interface it to a microcontroller.. I know the piezo is a very high voltage device, so I need to find some way to make it compatible.. I looked it up on the Arduino site and it seems like a terribly primitive method to use a 1meg resistor in parallel with it.
I was thinking perhaps a VR sensor IC chip like the MAX9924 which is capable of some noise filtration, zero crossing detection, and I need them in my project anyhow.
https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAX9924-MAX9927.pdf

The application is a diesel engine timing monitor, I'll have a VR sensor on the cam gear (10* per tooth), with a hall effect sensor to sense #1 cylinder position, the Piezo crystal.. Something like what's shown here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063Y1LU/?tag=pfamazon01-20I may need to play with the resistor values a bit, start with more resistance and lower it until it works
1602359332530.png

Open to other ideas, maybe there's a specific chip for this? I didn't see anything when I searched Mouser

Engineering news on Phys.org
What's the dynamic range? The first thing that comes to mind is a log amp coupled with an automatic gain control, etc. Sorry I don't have anything specific.

Likes Rx7man
I'm really not sure what the dynamic range is going to be! I'm going to have to build the piezo clamp first.

Only thing that makes me question the MAX9924 chip is it usually gets a sinusoidal input and I don't know how it'll like a very peaky input..might be some trial and error there

I sent a tech support question to Maxim.. maybe they have an idea.. worth a shot

Sorry, I'm not understanding the piezo transducer part. AFAIK, a piezo transducer converts force impulses to capacitive voltage spikes. Where are you making mechanical contact with something to provide those force impulses to the piezo transducer? I looked in your links, and did not see a datasheet for the piezo transducer that you want to use -- can you post a link to the datasheet? (sorry if I missed it)
Rx7man said:
I know the piezo is a very high voltage device
Only if the force impulses are really big, and even then the source impedance is very high. Simple voltage clamp diodes to the rails are generally enough to clip the voltage impulses from a piezo transducer.

Likes Rx7man
I'm not sure which transducer to use at this point
Here's the reply from Maxim.. that last line is a little hard to english
1602695365492.png

Some comments:
My experience with piezoelectric transducers is that they need a charge amplifier (search the term) to properly interface with an A/D converter.

If you want to monitor pressure pulses in a diesel injection line, you will need a sample rate fast enough to capture the pulses. Figure on at least 5, and preferably 10, samples per pulse duration. And a processor fast enough to process the signal in between samples. You may also need an anti alias filter.

I did some tinkering with an Envirodiy Mayfly Arduino board: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F9B4WCG/?tag=pfamazon01-20. This board is designed for data acquisition. It comes with a real time clock, 10 bit and 16 bit A/D converters, multiple power supply options, and has a built in micro SD card slot. The A/D input impedance needs to be less 30K ohms for good accuracy and repeatability. I learned this after trying to measure an external battery voltage using a 1 Meg / 300K voltage divider. A 100K / 30K voltage divider worked well, while a 1 Meg / 300K divider had an unacceptable level of both random noise and bias error.

Likes Rx7man and berkeman
That's an interesting board, though I don't need to know the magnitude of the pulse, so there's got to be a way of doing this without an A/D converter and repeated sampling..

A charge amplifier may be necessary though, and will be kept in mind for sure

1. What is a piezo and how does it work?

A piezo is a type of sensor that converts mechanical energy (such as pressure or vibration) into electrical energy. It works by utilizing the piezoelectric effect, which is the ability of certain materials to generate an electric charge in response to applied mechanical stress.

2. Can any piezo be interfaced with an arduino?

Yes, as long as the piezo has two wires for the positive and negative connections, it can be easily interfaced with an arduino.

3. How do I connect a piezo to an arduino?

To connect a piezo to an arduino, you will need to use a breadboard and connect the positive wire of the piezo to a digital pin on the arduino, and the negative wire to ground. You may also need to use a resistor to protect the arduino from high voltage spikes.

4. What is the purpose of interfacing a piezo to an arduino?

The purpose of interfacing a piezo to an arduino is to use the piezo as a sensor to detect changes in pressure or vibration. The arduino can then process this data and trigger other actions or responses based on the input from the piezo.

5. Can I use a piezo as an output device with an arduino?

Yes, you can use a piezo as an output device with an arduino by connecting it to a digital pin and using the arduino to send signals to the piezo, causing it to vibrate and produce sound. This can be useful for creating simple musical instruments or sound effects.