M 7.4 - 12 km SSW of Santa María Zapotitlán, Oaxaca, Mexico

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, there was an earthquake with a magnitude of 16.029°N 95.901°W and depth of 26.3 km in southern Oaxaca near the coast. This is caused by the subduction of the Pacific Ocean floor beneath the North American plate, resulting in the creation of the deep Middle American trench and the Cordillera Neovolcánica region of volcanoes in south-central Mexico. The seismometer registered the earthquake, and the conversation also mentions finding a name for a pet labradoodle, referencing the Cordillera Neovolcánica.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us6000ah9t/executive
  • 2020-06-23 15:29:05 (UTC)
  • 16.029°N 95.901°W
  • 26.3 km depth
Earthquake in southern Oaxaca near coast.

Most of the Mexican landmass is on the westward moving North American plate. The Pacific Ocean floor south of Mexico is being carried northeastward by the underlying Cocos plate. Because oceanic crust is relatively dense, when the Pacific Ocean floor encounters the lighter continental crust of the Mexican landmass, the ocean floor is subducted beneath the North American plate creating the deep Middle American trench along Mexico's southern coast. Also as a result of this convergence, the westward moving Mexico landmass is slowed and crumpled creating the mountain ranges of southern Mexico and earthquakes near Mexico's southern coast. As the oceanic crust is pulled downward, it melts; the molten material is then forced upward through weaknesses in the overlying continental crust. This process has created a region of volcanoes across south-central Mexico known as the Cordillera Neovolcánica.
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us6000ah9t/region-info

@davenn , did your seismometer register it?

• Informative
Likes Klystron
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
@davenn , did your seismometer register it?
Yes, very well, still early morning here. I saw it when I switched on the seismo. computer monitor this morning.
I hadn't had a chance to post a thread before leaving for work

zhi.gif

“Cordillera Neovolcánica,” I think I’ve found the perfect name for my next pet labradoodle!

• Haha
Likes davenn

1. What caused the earthquake in Santa María Zapotitlán, Oaxaca, Mexico?

The earthquake was caused by the sudden release of energy along a fault line in the Earth's crust. In this case, it was likely due to the movement of the Cocos and North American tectonic plates.

2. How strong was the earthquake?

The earthquake was measured at a magnitude of 7.4 on the Richter scale. This means it was considered a major earthquake and could potentially cause significant damage to buildings and infrastructure.

3. Was there any damage or casualties reported?

As of now, there have been reports of damage to buildings and infrastructure in the surrounding area, but no casualties have been reported. However, it is important to continue monitoring the situation as more information becomes available.

4. Is this earthquake related to other recent earthquakes in Mexico?

It is possible that this earthquake is related to other recent earthquakes in Mexico, as they are all located along the same fault line. However, more research and analysis will need to be done to determine any direct connections between them.

5. Are there any potential aftershocks expected?

There is always a possibility of aftershocks following a major earthquake, especially in the hours and days immediately following the event. It is important for people in the affected area to remain vigilant and follow any safety protocols recommended by local authorities.