M.S. in Chemical Engineering Interested in Informatics

In summary, the speaker completed a M.S. in Chemical Engineering but has discovered a passion for Informatics. They chose to self-teach and have had success learning and finding others interested in the field. However, they are considering going back to college for exposure and to have experts review their work. Another person suggests working at a company like Detica and then pursuing further studies, rather than pursuing two masters degrees back-to-back.
GreenAvacado
Dear all,

I recently completed a M.S. in Chemical Engineering and I am finding that I lost my drive. I am instead more passionate about Informatics. I opted for trying to learn things on my own because I did not want to take on debt to pay for college. It worked out considerably well. I learned more than I expected, and I found people interested in informatics as well. I also found projects and papers to study, as well as a hackerspace with people who were knowledgeable about computers. However, I wonder whether it would be useful (and worth it) to go back to college for exposure and to have experts in the field review my work.

-GA

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try working at somewhere like first Detica, then doing further study after, I don't think its the best idea to do 2 masters after each other, well that's the way it is in the UK anyway .. unless you're looking to do a PHD

What is a M.S. in Chemical Engineering Interested in Informatics?

A M.S. in Chemical Engineering Interested in Informatics is a graduate degree program that combines the principles of chemical engineering with the use of informatics tools, such as data analytics and computer modeling, to solve complex problems in the field of chemical engineering.

What are the career opportunities for someone with a M.S. in Chemical Engineering Interested in Informatics?

Graduates with a M.S. in Chemical Engineering Interested in Informatics can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, energy, and materials. They may work as process engineers, data analysts, research scientists, or consultants.

What are the prerequisites for a M.S. in Chemical Engineering Interested in Informatics?

Most programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering or a related field, such as chemistry or materials science. They may also require coursework in calculus, physics, and computer programming.

What skills will I learn in a M.S. in Chemical Engineering Interested in Informatics program?

Students in this program will develop skills in chemical engineering fundamentals, data analysis, computer modeling, and programming languages. They will also learn how to apply informatics tools and techniques to solve real-world problems in chemical engineering.

What is the difference between a M.S. in Chemical Engineering and a M.S. in Chemical Engineering Interested in Informatics?

A M.S. in Chemical Engineering Interested in Informatics program includes additional coursework in informatics and data analytics, while a traditional M.S. in Chemical Engineering program focuses solely on the principles of chemical engineering. Graduates of a M.S. in Chemical Engineering Interested in Informatics may have a broader range of skills and may be more competitive for positions that require data analysis and informatics expertise.