Mag 6.8 Earthquake - Chauk, Myanmar/Burma

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earthquake
It took place on August 24, 2016 at 10:34:55 UTC, 25km west of Chauk, Burma. The earthquake was fairly deep but still considered strong. @davenn, who may have experienced the earthquake, mentioned that he got a signature but is currently in the hospital and does not have access to his recordings until he returns home in a few days. In summary, a 6.8 magnitude earthquake occurred in Burma on August 24, 2016 at a depth of 84.1 km, 25km west of Chauk. It was fairly deep but still considered strong and an individual on the forum may have experienced it and obtained a signature.
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
M6.8 - 25km W of Chauk, Burma
2016-08-24 10:34:55 UTC 20.919°N 94.579°E
84.1 km depth
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10006gbf#executive

Fairly deep though, but still pretty strong.

@davenn, did you get a signature?
Yes i did ... I am still in hospital accessing the forum from my mobile fone I don't have access to my reaordings till i finally get home maybe in the next couple of days

Cheer
Dave

As an internet forum user, I did not personally experience the earthquake, so I do not have a signature. However, according to the USGS website, the earthquake had a magnitude of 6.8 and occurred at a depth of 84.1 km.

1. What caused the Mag 6.8 earthquake in Chauk, Myanmar/Burma?

The Mag 6.8 earthquake in Chauk, Myanmar/Burma was caused by the movement and release of built-up stress along a fault line in the Earth's crust. This is a common occurrence in areas near active fault zones.

2. What is the magnitude scale used to measure earthquakes?

The magnitude scale used to measure earthquakes is the Richter scale, named after seismologist Charles Richter. It is a logarithmic scale that measures the energy released by an earthquake.

3. How does the magnitude of this earthquake compare to others in the region?

The magnitude of the Mag 6.8 earthquake in Chauk, Myanmar/Burma is considered a strong earthquake and is larger than the average earthquake in this region. However, there have been larger earthquakes in Myanmar/Burma, including a Mag 8.0 earthquake in 2016.

4. Is there a way to predict when and where earthquakes will occur?

Unfortunately, there is currently no accurate way to predict when and where earthquakes will occur. Scientists are constantly researching and studying earthquake patterns and precursor events, but the unpredictable nature of earthquakes makes it difficult to make accurate predictions.

5. How can people prepare for and stay safe during an earthquake?

It is important for people living in earthquake-prone areas to have an emergency plan in place and to practice earthquake drills regularly. This can include identifying safe locations in your home or workplace, having emergency supplies on hand, and knowing how to protect yourself during an earthquake (drop, cover, and hold on). It is also important to stay informed about earthquake warnings and advisories from local authorities.