• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earthquake
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Ouch. Any tsunami warnings?

berkeman said:
Ouch. Any tsunami warnings?
According to various news sources, "No tsunami warning was issued for the quake -- initially reported as a magnitude 6.9 -- which hit at 11:53 am local time. The 7.1-magnitude earthquake struck Indonesia's Banda Sea on Wednesday, the United States Geological Survey said, with no immediate reports of damage or casualties."

The M7.1 was preceded by a Mag 6.7 quake (considered a fore-shock).

M 6.7 - Banda Sea​

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us7000l9h2/executive
  • 2023-11-08 04:52:52 (UTC)
  • 6.382°S 129.779°E
  • 10.0 km depth
The quake was not expected to produce tsunamis along the nearby coastlines.

From the USGS seismic summary
The November 8, 2023, M 7.1 earthquake in the Banda Sea occurred as a result of strike-slip faulting at shallow depth. This event was preceded approximately 1 minute earlier by an M 6.7 earthquake, referred to as a foreshock, with a similar mechanism and location. These events occurred in the Banda Sea in a region of complex tectonics, broadly defined by the boundary between the Australia and Sunda Plates. These events occurred on or near the plate boundary between two smaller tectonic plates, the Timor and Banda Sea plates. Focal mechanism solutions for both events indicate that rupture occurred on either a left-lateral northeast-striking fault or a right-lateral southwest-striking fault. At the location of the M 7.1 earthquake, the Australia plate moves towards the north-northeast with respect to Sunda at a velocity of about 73 mm/yr. Motion between the two plates is dominantly convergent, but many styles of faulting are present in the region.
Maybe because it occurred on a striking fault, a tsunami was not expected, unlike for a subduction movement.

• Informative
Likes DaveE and berkeman
Astronuc said:
According to various news sources, "No tsunami warning was issued for the quake -- initially reported as a magnitude 6.9 -- which hit at 11:53 am local time. The 7.1-magnitude earthquake struck Indonesia's Banda Sea on Wednesday, the United States Geological Survey said, with no immediate reports of damage or casualties."

The M7.1 was preceded by a Mag 6.7 quake (considered a fore-shock).

M 6.7 - Banda Sea​

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us7000l9h2/executive
  • 2023-11-08 04:52:52 (UTC)
  • 6.382°S 129.779°E
  • 10.0 km depth
The quake was not expected to produce tsunamis along the nearby coastlines.

From the USGS seismic summary

Maybe because it occurred on a striking fault, a tsunami was not expected, unlike for a subduction movement.
Help! What does this phrase mean: "rupture occurred on either a left-lateral northeast-striking fault or a right-lateral southwest-striking fault"?

For strike-slip faults, isn't a 'northeast-striking fault' the same as a 'southwest-striking fault'? Is it about the direction of the applied stress vector?

For context:
1699491839224.png

DaveE said:
Help! What does this phrase mean: "rupture occurred on either a left-lateral northeast-striking fault or a right-lateral southwest-striking fault"?

For strike-slip faults, isn't a 'northeast-striking fault' the same as a 'southwest-striking fault'? Is it about the direction of the applied stress vector?
I was wondering that myself. I expect it depends on which mass if moving in whatever direction.

DaveE said:
DaveE said:
For strike-slip faults, isn't a 'northeast-striking fault' the same as a 'southwest-striking fault'?

Yes it is, other than the direction of slip. Which could be either but is dependant on the focal mechism derived from first motions. I wonder if there was a typo there ?
I think ( but cant confirm) they really meant to say NE striking and SE striking as per the beachball.
They also seem to be using opposite colouring to everyone else. everone else uses the dark colour ( blue in this case) as the quadrant being compressed (P = Pressure) but they are using the light colour ( white) as the P = Pressure quadrant.

Astronuc said:
I was wondering that myself. I expect it depends on which mass if moving in whatever direction.

Seems I need to do a thread on focal mechanisms "beachballs".

here is the beachball for that event .....

1701312953413.png

This focal mech. is as almost as pure strike slip as can be obtained.
there are two possible fault plane solutions for this event.
If we use the dark colour as the compressional area and the white as the tensional areas,
we would have .....

beachball1.GIF

2 possible solutions (fault planes)
Solution 1 (in red arrows) A left lateral strike-slip along a fault trending NE to SW.
That is Q1 and Q4 are moving towards the SW relative to Q2 and Q3.
Left Lateral means, if you stand on one side of the fault and look across the fault,
which direction did the ground move on the opposite side of the fault.
Standing in Q3 or Q2 quadrants, the other side (Q1 and Q4) moved to the left = Left Lateral.
Note, it doesnt matter what side you stand on, you see the same left lateral motion.

Solution 2 ( in black arrows) would be a fault trending NW to SE.
So if you stand in Q1 or Q2 (Quadrants), the other side (Q3 and Q4) has moved towards the NW.
That is towards the right - therefore a right lateral fault.
Once again, it doesnt matter which side of this fault you stand on, looking across the fault shows
movement to the right.

Clear as mud ? :wink: :wink: hopefully not too bad

Looking at the focal mechanism, we do not know which of the 2 fault planes is the correct one.
Choosing the correct one comes from knowledge of the tectonics region where the event occured.

I will continue this in another following post. looking at how the P and T quadrants are defined
I need to save this much and head home from work

cheers
Dave

• Love
Likes Astronuc, BillTre and DaveE
davenn said:
Seems I need to do a thread on focal mechanisms "beachballs".
Yes, please!

Likes BillTre and davenn

What was the magnitude of the main earthquake in the Banda Sea, Indonesia, and when did it occur?

The main earthquake in the Banda Sea, Indonesia, had a magnitude of 7.1. The exact date and time of occurrence would depend on specific data from seismic monitoring agencies like the USGS or local Indonesian agencies at the time of the earthquake.

How many aftershocks followed the main earthquake, and what were their magnitudes?

The number and magnitude of aftershocks can vary widely after a major earthquake. Typically, several aftershocks can follow, ranging from minor to significant magnitudes. For precise numbers and magnitudes, data from a seismic monitoring agency would be necessary following the events.

What was the depth of the earthquake, and why is this significant?

The depth of the earthquake in the Banda Sea was reported to be deep. The depth of an earthquake is significant because it influences the level of shaking experienced at the surface. Deeper earthquakes generally cause less damage on the surface compared to shallow ones, even if their magnitudes are high.

Were there any tsunami warnings issued following the earthquake?

For major earthquakes under the sea, tsunami warnings are often issued as a precaution. The issuance of a tsunami warning would depend on the earthquake's characteristics, including its magnitude, depth, and location relative to the sea floor. Specific details would be provided by tsunami warning centers.

What should residents in the affected area do following such an earthquake and its aftershocks?

Residents in the affected area should follow safety protocols, which include evacuating to higher ground if a tsunami warning is issued, preparing for potential aftershocks by securing loose objects, staying informed through local disaster management agencies, and having an emergency kit ready. It is crucial to follow the advice of local authorities and experts during such events.