1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mag of impulse required to change speed question.

1. Aug 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A proton has mass 1.7x10-27 kg. What is the magnitude of the impulse required in the direction of motion to increase its speed from 0.995c to 0.998c? Where c is the speed of light.

2. Relevant equations

Im not quite sure of what equation is supposed to be used. I tried using (momentumfinal)=(momentuminitial) + Fnet*(changeintime)

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok my attempt at the problem is the only way i can think of it and the answer is still wrong. I first multiplied the speeds by the mass to get a momentum. Then used the two momentums and plugged them into the equation above and solved for Fnet*(changintime) which equals Impulse if im not mistaken. I got the number 1.53e-21 for my answer.

The only problems i can think of is maybe those speeds are speeds(needs to be velocity).. and can't multiply by the mass to get a momentum but i don't see why that would cause a problem. Overall im stumped on this problem and not sure why what ive done doesn't work. I even have talked to others in the class and no one can figure it out.

Thanks for all the help in advance guys.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2008 #2
    Considering how high the speed of the particle is, I wonder if you have to consider relativistic momentum?
  4. Aug 29, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, 0.995c is definitely relativistic. mv will not work for calculating momentum.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?