Mag of impulse required to change speed question.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Coletrain12
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A proton has mass 1.7x10-27 kg. What is the magnitude of the impulse required in the direction of motion to increase its speed from 0.995c to 0.998c? Where c is the speed of light.

Homework Equations



Im not quite sure of what equation is supposed to be used. I tried using (momentumfinal)=(momentuminitial) + Fnet*(changeintime)

The Attempt at a Solution



Ok my attempt at the problem is the only way i can think of it and the answer is still wrong. I first multiplied the speeds by the mass to get a momentum. Then used the two momentums and plugged them into the equation above and solved for Fnet*(changintime) which equals Impulse if I am not mistaken. I got the number 1.53e-21 for my answer.

The only problems i can think of is maybe those speeds are speeds(needs to be velocity).. and can't multiply by the mass to get a momentum but i don't see why that would cause a problem. Overall I am stumped on this problem and not sure why what I've done doesn't work. I even have talked to others in the class and no one can figure it out.

Thanks for all the help in advance guys.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Considering how high the speed of the particle is, I wonder if you have to consider relativistic momentum?