Impulse Question -- A car changing speed and direction

In summary, the problem involves a cart with a mass of 100kg traveling at 25m/s in the X-Direction and then 20m/s in the Y-Direction. The impulse is calculated using the formula I = m*change in velocity, resulting in a final value of (2000 j - 2500 i) kg*m/s. The minus sign in the formula is due to the sequential change in velocity from 25 i to 20 j.
mailmas

Homework Statement

Cart travels with a mass of 100kg in the 25m/s in the X-Direction and then 20m/s in the Y-Direction. What is the impulse?

Homework Equations

I = m*change in velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I = 100(20 (j) - 25(i))
I = (2000 (j) - 2500(j)) kg* m/s
Is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you doubt it?

mailmas said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I = 100(20 (j) - 25(i))[/B]
Why the minus sign?

What do you think "change in velocity" means?

rude man said:
Why the minus sign?
Because these are before and after velocities.
mailmas said:
and then

haruspex said:
Because these are before and after velocities.
Oh yes? I interpreted the problem as starting from zero velocity and ending with 25 i + 20 j. The change is just that.

There is no "beginning" or "starting from zero" in the statement of this problem. The statement says that it has a velocity of 25 i which then becomes 20 j. In the final situation, the car is traveling with a velocity of 20 m/s in the y direction. It is not traveling with a velocity of 25 i + 20 j.

rude man said:
Oh yes? I interpreted the problem as starting from zero velocity and ending with 25 i + 20 j. The change is just that.
You are still ignoring the "and then". These are sequential circumstances.

1. How does a car change speed and direction?

A car changes speed and direction through the application of forces. When the driver presses the accelerator or brake pedal, the engine produces a force that either increases or decreases the car's speed. Similarly, turning the steering wheel creates a force that changes the car's direction.

2. What is the role of inertia in a car's change in speed and direction?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. In the case of a car changing speed and direction, the car's mass and velocity contribute to its inertia. The more massive the car is, the more force is needed to change its speed or direction.

3. How does friction affect a car's change in speed and direction?

Friction is the resistance force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. In a car, friction is important for maintaining traction and control. When the car's tires grip the road, it can change speed and direction. However, if there is too much friction, it can make it difficult for the car to move or turn.

4. What is the difference between acceleration and deceleration in a car?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's speed over time. In a car, pressing the gas pedal increases the car's speed, while pressing the brake pedal decreases the speed. Deceleration, on the other hand, is a type of negative acceleration, where the car's speed decreases in a given amount of time.

5. How does a car's weight affect its ability to change speed and direction?

A car's weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on the car. The heavier the car is, the more force is needed to change its speed or direction. This is because the car's weight contributes to its inertia, making it more difficult to accelerate or decelerate. However, a heavier car may also have more traction and stability, making it easier to maintain control when changing speed or direction.