1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnet force on an object separated by small space

1. Nov 28, 2011 #1
    I'm trying to approximate forces on a system.

One of my Forces is a 6x8x1" Ceramic Grade 8 magnet on an ferromagnetic object, but they are separated by a small space (about 3/16").

I know the Pull of the magnet, but is there a way to calculate the pull of the magnet relative to the distance away it is from the object?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2011 #2
    The actual magnetic field and hence force is typically complex and depends on the magnets shapes, magnetization, orientation, and the ferromagnet's shape, permeability, history, location, and orientation. To a good approximation though, most single permanent magnets create dipole fields, and dipole fields die off as 1/r3. So if the maximum force you measure when there is no separation is F0, then the force F as a function separation r would be F = F0/r3 to a crude approximation.

4. Nov 29, 2011 #3
    Shouldn’t that be F=Fo x d^3/r^3 ? where d is the length from one pole to the middle of the magnet and r is also to be taken from the middle of the magnet. (ofcourse also to a crude approximation).

5. Nov 30, 2011 #4
    Actually, it would be more like F = F0/(r+d)3 if r is the distance from the pole's surface, and d is the distance from the pole's surface to the center of the magnet. Sorry for error

6. Nov 30, 2011 #5
    If you have a little experience with programming, vectors, and numerical methods, it's actually not that hard to write a little code that solves for the three-dimensional static magnetic field due to any shaped magnet. Just solve each component of [itex]\nabla[/itex]2 A = μ0 Jmag using the relaxation method with sources. Here Jmag is the effective magnetization current describing the magnet. Then the magnetic field is B = [itex]\nabla\times[/itex] A.

7. Nov 30, 2011 #6
    chrisbaird, the problem I’m referring to is that you stated that Fo is a force, which is fine, but then it follows that Fo/r^3 cannot possibly be a force as well. It would give a very strange answer. Therefore I suggested that F can be worked out by Fo times the ratio d^3 and r^3. This way at least the answer is in Newton and you still have an 1/r^3 dependency. This way if both distances are taken from the centre then when r=d, F=Fo, which is correct.
    I haven’t tried that formula and I wish I had more time to find out. It would be nice if mmartelli could tell us.

8. Dec 1, 2011 #7
    You are right, in my effort to simplify things for the OP, I keep making the equation unphysical. I should stop digging this hole. :blushing:

Here is the full form for a magnetic dipole:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook