Quantifying the magnetic force on a magnet moving through a coil?

In summary, Raymond Bryanth calculated the terminal velocity of a magnet as a function of the permeability of the surrounding medium and the number of turns of the coil. He found that the velocity decreases as the permeability increases and that the velocity is very small when compared to the speed of the magnet in free space.
rayjbryant
So I'm familiar with the magnet falling through a copper tube demonstration that shows the induced magnetic fields slowing the magnet down.

I know that this experiment is also possible with a conducting coil as long as the coil forms a closed circuit. I'm trying to find a way to calculate the force acting on the magnet as a function of velocity. Does anyone have a paper they can point me toward?

Thank you,
Raymond Bryant

Physics news on Phys.org
vanhees71 said:
Hello vanhees, I've looked at this paper before.

Something I tried to do was treat each wrap of the coil as an individual segment and integrate to get its contribution. I wasn't sure if my results were reasonable. I get a very small terminal velocity.

coil approximation:
clc
clear all
close all

% magnet dimensions [m]

d = .0127; %magnet height
r = .00238; %magnet radius

%mass of magnet [kg]

m_w = .0017;

% other constants

u_0 = 1.26E-6; % permeability of free space constant T m/A
g = 9.81; % gravitational constant m/s^2

%coil properties [m]

a = .00635; %radius
w = .000635; %width of wire
N = 100; % number of turns
c = pi*a*2; %circumference
wl = c*N; %wire length
cs = pi*(w/2)^2; %cross sectional area
rho = 1.7e-8; % resistivity of copper [ohm/m]
wr = (rho*wl)/cs; % resistance in wire [ohm]
lt = 0.3048; % length of tube

%magnetic properties

sm = 72730000; % magnetic surface charge density [Mx/m^2]

qm = pi*sm*r^2; % total charge Mx

eff_dist = .003175; %effective distance of magnet [m]

%terminal velocity calculation

p = qm*d;
x = d/a;
val = scalingfunction(x);

v = (8*pi*m_w*g*rho*a^2)/(u_0^2*qm^2*w*val); %terminal velocity calculation

%for one ring

flux = [];
z = 0:.00001:eff_dist;

for i = 1:1:length(z) %z varies from zero to effective distance of magnet

flux(end+1) = (u_0*qm*.5)*(((z(i)+d)/sqrt((z(i)+d)^2+a^2))-(z(i)/sqrt(z(i)^2+a^2)));

end

Total_flux = 2*sum(flux);

delta_t = (2*eff_dist)/v;

emf = (N*Total_flux)/delta_t;

function [val] = scalingfunction(x)
fun = @(x,y) ((1./(y.^2+1).^(3/2))-(1./((y+x).^2 + 1)).^(3/2)).^2;
val = integral(@(y) fun(x,y),-Inf,Inf);
end

Attachments

• writeup_short.pdf
    276.4 KB · Views: 89
You will not get much in the way of quantitative results.
Trying to analyze one coil turn at a time is hopeless. Just calculating the flux in a 1-turn coil with given current is beyond any introductory physics course.

You'd have better luck with a long solenoid in which case the two
situations (solenoid & tube) are equivalent. You'd have to know the mag moment of your magnet, for openers.

Likes Delta2
Try to contact @kuruman , he has written a mini treatise on this problem , its not my intellectual property so I am not sure I am entitled to give it.

Likes vanhees71

1. How is the magnetic force on a magnet moving through a coil quantified?

The magnetic force on a magnet moving through a coil is quantified using the formula F = BIL, where B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current flowing through the coil, and L is the length of the coil.

2. What is the relationship between the magnetic force and the velocity of the magnet?

The magnetic force on a magnet moving through a coil is directly proportional to the velocity of the magnet. This means that as the velocity of the magnet increases, the magnetic force also increases.

3. How does the number of turns in the coil affect the magnetic force?

The number of turns in the coil does not directly affect the magnetic force on a magnet moving through it. However, it does affect the strength of the magnetic field, which in turn affects the magnetic force. A coil with more turns will produce a stronger magnetic field and therefore a greater magnetic force on the magnet.

4. Can the direction of the magnetic force be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic force can be changed by altering the direction of either the magnetic field or the current flowing through the coil. This can be achieved by changing the orientation of the magnet or by reversing the direction of the current.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of quantifying the magnetic force on a magnet moving through a coil?

The accuracy of quantifying the magnetic force on a magnet moving through a coil can be affected by factors such as the strength and uniformity of the magnetic field, the accuracy of measuring the current and length of the coil, and any external forces that may be acting on the magnet. It is important to carefully control and measure these factors in order to obtain accurate results.