Magnetic Circuit Problem Involving a Solenoid and Plunger

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Bizkit
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The problem can be found http://whites.sdsmt.edu/classes/ee382/homework/382Homework1.pdf" (the last one), along with a picture of the circuit.


Homework Equations


R = l/(µS)

mmf = NI = ΨR

B = Ψ/S


The Attempt at a Solution


I've never done a problem like this before. I've looked for information and example problems to help me do it in my book and online, but I haven't found anything that can help me. The part about it that really confuses me is the use of the plunger. Does it move? If it does, how do I know what the length of the gap is? If it doesn't, do I just ignore the part of the plunger that is below the rest of the circuit because it acts like an open circuit (I don't know if that's true or not)? I was hoping someone here could help me figure out what to do. Thanks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The basics of the magnetic-electric analogy are here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_circuit"

The equivalent electric scheme for your task is attached.

The MMF is

[tex] \varepsilon = IN[/tex]

The magnetic resistances are

[tex] R_1 = \frac{h - l_p - l_g}{\mu_c w^2};[/tex]

[tex] R_2 = \frac{2h - l_s}{\mu_c w^2};[/tex]

[tex] R_s = \frac{l_s}{\mu_0 w^2};[/tex]

[tex] R_p = \frac{l_p}{\mu_p w^2};[/tex]

[tex] R_g = \frac{l_g}{\mu_0 w^2}.[/tex]

The total magnetic resistance is calculated like the corresponding electrical resistance:

[tex] R = R_1 + \frac{R_2 + R_s}{2} + R_p + R_g.[/tex]

Then the magnetic flux is

[tex] \Phi = \frac{\varepsilon}{R}.[/tex]

how do I know what the length of the gap is?
[tex]l_p[/tex] is the length of the upper part of the plunger. So there is no problem.

do I just ignore the part of the plunger that is below the rest of the circuit?
yes
 
Attachments
  • sheme.png
    sheme.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 608
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure I understand what to do now.