Calculating Magnetic Flux in Spool Coil with Air Gap - Formula and Example

In summary: Yes, but the voltage is given at a later problem, so I figured why not just test it now as I'm not sure what to do. If I have the current, I would just need to plot it + find the correct reluctance to proceed.
Mutaja

Homework Statement

The attached picture shows a spool coil on a iron core with an air gap measuring 2.5mm. The spool is coiled by 0.5mm2 with rho cu = 0.0175 Ωmm2 /m. The average winding diameter for the spool is 3.18cm.

Compute the magnetic flux in the spool.

attachment.php?attachmentid=67961&stc=1&d=1395681020.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equation: phi = I * N / Rm, I still miss I, and I have no idea how to compute it. Rm is the reluctance which I can get from a B-H characteristic - if that applies to this problem.

My first questions are these I guess: Is this the correct formula? If yes, how to I compute I?

Any feedback and help is as always greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• spool problem.png
    spool problem.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 479
Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula is fine but you need to use the correct reluctance.
You also need either the voltage or the current in the spool.

Hint: the reluctance of the air gap is >> reluctance of the rest of the core. Forget B-H of the core!

rude man said:
Your formula is fine but you need to use the correct reluctance.
You also need either the voltage or the current in the spool.

Hint: the reluctance of the air gap is >> reluctance of the rest of the core. Forget B-H of the core!

If I need the voltage or current, it would apprear it's missing from the problem - and I do apologize for that. But since you say I can use the voltage, how should I go about it if we set the voltage to 24V?

Per your equation, you need the current, right?

rude man said:
Per your equation, you need the current, right?

Yes, but the voltage is given at a later problem, so I figured why not just test it now as I'm not sure what to do. If I have the current, I would just need to plot it + find the correct reluctance to proceed.

I don't know though, it was just an idea.

?

get the current, by hook or by crook!

Related to Calculating Magnetic Flux in Spool Coil with Air Gap - Formula and Example

1. What is magnetic flux and why is it important in spool coils with air gap?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field passing through a given area. In spool coils with air gap, magnetic flux is important because it determines the amount of magnetic energy that can be transferred between the coil and the air gap.

2. What is the formula for calculating magnetic flux in a spool coil with air gap?

The formula for calculating magnetic flux in a spool coil with air gap is: Φ = B x A x cos(θ), where B is the magnetic flux density, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the coil's surface.

3. Can you provide an example of how to calculate magnetic flux in a spool coil with air gap?

Sure, let's say we have a spool coil with a cross-sectional area of 10 cm² and a magnetic flux density of 0.5 Tesla. The angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the coil's surface is 45 degrees. Using the formula, we can calculate the magnetic flux as follows: Φ = (0.5 Tesla) x (10 cm²) x cos(45 degrees) = 3.54 Weber.

4. How does the air gap affect the calculation of magnetic flux in a spool coil?

The air gap has a significant effect on the calculation of magnetic flux in a spool coil. As the distance between the coil and the air gap increases, the magnetic flux density decreases, resulting in a lower magnetic flux value.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the magnetic flux calculation in a spool coil with air gap?

There are a few factors that can affect the accuracy of the magnetic flux calculation in a spool coil with air gap. These include the uniformity of the magnetic field, the shape and size of the coil and air gap, and the presence of any external magnetic fields that may interfere with the calculation.