1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Dipole Moment of a Coil

1. Apr 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You have a coil of N turns, with current I through it.

It is in a magnetic field B, which causes it to feel a torque.

Give an expression for its magnetic dipole moment.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I know magnetic dipole moment is A x I

So for a coil of N turns it should be A x IN.

The problem is, A isn't specified in the problem, which makes me wonder if there's a better/different way to do this. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's an equation that relates torque to B and magnetic dipole moment. Are we to assume the torque is a known, eg. "the coil experiences a torque T"?

Without thinking through the problem completely, I'd say that equation is likely to be helpful here.

4. Apr 12, 2009 #3
    Yeah, that equation is t = u x B

However the next question is, "give an expression for the torque". So I think I need to find u first, then use that to find t = u x B.

Thanks though!

5. Apr 12, 2009 #4
    Are any numbers given in the problem at all?

6. Apr 12, 2009 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Weird. I don't see how you can answer this, without having the area ... or some information (radius of circle, side-length of a square, etc.) that could be used to calculate area.

7. Apr 12, 2009 #6
    The reason I asked if any numbers were given is that the phrasing "give an expression for" could mean that it's a symbolic reasoning problem (in which case you already have the answer for the first part - you gave it in your original post - and the second part is simply a matter of plugging your answer for the first part into the relevant equation).

8. Apr 12, 2009 #7
    Nope, no numbers are given at all.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  9. Apr 13, 2009 #8
    Alright. Well, if there are no numbers, then you're just supposed to find a symbolic expression for the quantities. You gave an expression for mu in your first post: mu = N (A x I). Plug that into the formula for torque, and you'll have your expression for torque. You can assume that A is a given, since there's no way to get mu or the torque without A.

10. Apr 13, 2009 #9
    Okay, thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook