1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field above rotating disk

1. Apr 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the magnetic field a distance z above a rotating disk (ang.velocity w) with surface charge density inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the centre of the disk.

2. Relevant equations

K = v*surface charge density
    B = (constant)*integral of (K x rhat / r^2 )da

3. The attempt at a solution

I just wanna know if i'm setting up this question right (basically, if i'm setting up the part in the integral correct, which is why i ommited the constant)

charge desntiy = c/s^2 where c is a constant (since it is inversely proportional to square of distance from centre of disk)
    so K = v*charge density = ws*c/s^2 = wc/s
    so K cross rhat = Ksin(alpha) where alpha is the angle between k and r
    but in this case, the angle will always be 90 degrees since k and r are in perpendicular planes
    so i need to inegrate (K/r^2)da
    but all the horizontal components will cancel so i need to take only the vertical components, so i multiply by cos theta where theta is the angle r makes with the disk

so i have :
    integral of (Kcostheta/r^2) da
    costheta = s/(s^2+z^2)^0.5
    K = wc/s
    r^2 = s^2 + z^2

so i get
    ingeral of wc/s * s/(s^2+z^2)^3/2 * da
    da = sdsdtheta
    so I have to integrate (wcs/(s^2+z^2)^3/2)dsdtheta from s=0 to s=R and theta= 0 to theta=2pi

is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2010 #2
    Also, what about if the surface charge density was proportional to the distance from the centre instead?
    then I would get an integral of the type s^4/(s^2+z^2)^3/2

How in the world would i do this integral? The one above is much easier but I cant figure out a way to do this one

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook