1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field and parallel current-carrying wires

1. Feb 13, 2015 #1
    could someone explain question 10. JUST PART b)iii)

http://mrmackenzie.wikispaces.com/file/view/AHpastpaper2004.pdf

I got the magnitude of the magnetic field
    but I don't know how to find its directionI thought it might be to do with left and right hand rule?

the answer is upwards
    could someone please explain why this is so?

thank u v much in advance :)

[Moderator note: Moved to new thread; removed bits of old thread from this post]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2015 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

How would you apply the right hand rule to find the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire?

4. Feb 15, 2015 #4
    I don't know

using the left hand rule (I'm Scottish so I use negative current) surely the magnetic field due to one wire is up and due to the other one is down so they'd cancel?

5. Feb 15, 2015 #5

Doc Al

It does say electron flow, so you're good with a left rule. (Although I recommend always using a right hand rule and positive current.) Realize that the current in each wire goes in opposite directions. Describe the direction of the magnetic field surrounding each wire.

6. Feb 15, 2015 #6
    one goes into the page and one out of the page?

thanks for your help :)

7. Feb 15, 2015 #7

Doc Al

Nope! Try again. ;)

8. Feb 15, 2015 #8

Doc Al

Note: It's not completely clear which wire is closest to the viewer. I will assume that the wire appearing lowest in the diagram is closest to the viewer. (Use whatever makes sense to you, just state what assumptions you are making.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted