Magnetic field and parallel current-carrying wires

In summary, the conversation is discussing question 10, specifically part b)iii) on a past paper. The question involves finding the direction of the magnetic field surrounding a current-carrying wire. The answer is upwards, but the participants are unsure of how to arrive at this answer. They discuss using the right hand rule and left hand rule, with one person mentioning that they are Scottish and therefore use negative current. Ultimately, they determine that the current in each wire goes in opposite directions, and the direction of the magnetic field surrounding each wire is one going into the page and one out of the page.
ah4p
could someone explain question 10. JUST PART b)iii)

http://mrmackenzie.wikispaces.com/file/view/AHpastpaper2004.pdf

I got the magnitude of the magnetic field
but I don't know how to find its directionI thought it might be to do with left and right hand rule?

the answer is upwards
could someone please explain why this is so?

thank u v much in advance :)

[Moderator note: Moved to new thread; removed bits of old thread from this post]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ah4p said:
could someone please explain why this is so?
How would you apply the right hand rule to find the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire?

Doc Al said:
How would you apply the right hand rule to find the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire?

I don't know

using the left hand rule (I'm Scottish so I use negative current) surely the magnetic field due to one wire is up and due to the other one is down so they'd cancel?

ah4p said:
I don't know

using the left hand rule (I'm Scottish so I use negative current) surely the magnetic field due to one wire is up and due to the other one is down so they'd cancel?
It does say electron flow, so you're good with a left rule. (Although I recommend always using a right hand rule and positive current.) Realize that the current in each wire goes in opposite directions. Describe the direction of the magnetic field surrounding each wire.

Doc Al said:
It does say electron flow, so you're good with a left rule. (Although I recommend always using a right hand rule and positive current.) Realize that the current in each wire goes in opposite directions. Describe the direction of the magnetic field surrounding each wire.
one goes into the page and one out of the page?

thanks for your help :)

ah4p said:
one goes into the page and one out of the page?
Nope! Try again. ;)

Note: It's not completely clear which wire is closest to the viewer. I will assume that the wire appearing lowest in the diagram is closest to the viewer. (Use whatever makes sense to you, just state what assumptions you are making.)

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force that is created by moving electric charges, such as the flow of current through a wire. It can also be described as a region in space where a magnetic force is exerted on other objects.

2. How are magnetic fields created by current-carrying wires?

When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the current flow, according to the right-hand rule.

3. What is the relationship between magnetic fields and parallel current-carrying wires?

When two parallel wires carry current in the same direction, their magnetic fields will interact and create a stronger combined magnetic field between the wires. However, if the current is flowing in opposite directions, the magnetic fields will cancel each other out.

4. How does the distance between parallel current-carrying wires affect the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field between two parallel wires is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires. This means that as the distance between the wires increases, the strength of the magnetic field decreases.

5. What are some practical applications of magnetic fields and parallel current-carrying wires?

Magnetic fields created by current-carrying wires are used in various technologies, such as generators, motors, and transformers. They are also used in medical imaging techniques like magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).