Force between Parallel Current Carrying Wires

In summary: So to clarify, the correct expressions would be: Wire A: F = I(L) X (2IB)1/2F = I(L) X (IB)Wire B:F = 2I(L) X (IB)2F = I(L) X (2IB)In summary, two parallel wires with currents of I and 2I, respectively, will produce forces on each other that are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, according to Newton's Third Law. This is due to the fact that the magnetic field produced by each wire will interact with the current in the other wire, resulting in equal and opposite forces. The correct expressions for the forces on each wire would be F = I(L)
mitchy16

Homework Statement

Two parallel wires have currents that have the same direction, but differing magnitude. The current in wire A is I, and the current in wire B is 2I. Which one of the following statements concerning the situation is true?
A) Both wires attract each other with the same force
B) Wire A attracts wire B with twice the force that wire B attracts wire A.
C) Wire A attracts wire B with half the force that wire B attracts wire A.
D) Wire A repels wire B with half the force that wire B attracts wire A.
E) Wire A repels wire B with twice the force that wire B attracts wire A.

Homework Equations

F = L I X B

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I know that wires in the same direction will attract, so that removes options D and E. What I am unsure of though, is why the correct answer is A. While I was working this problem out, I assumed the force would be half that of wire B, due to the formula posted above. Why would the force be the same?
Any and all guidance is appreciated, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
mitchy16 said:
Why would the force be the same?
Have you heard of Newton's Third Law? If not calculate the force on each wire and be sure to put in the proper expression for B.

Likes mitchy16
kuruman said:
Have you heard of Newton's Third Law? If not calculate the force on each wire and be sure to put in the proper expression for B.
Yes, I had tried relating to Newton's Third Law, and that part makes sense, but if I were to solve for force, would it not be:

Wire A:
F = (L)(2I) X (B)
1/2F = (L)(I) X (B)
Wire B:
F = (L)(I) X (B)

I think I'm just missing something obvious, but I'm not sure what. Thanks!

What's B for a long wire? Put that in the expression. Of course for wire A you have to put in the B field due to wire B and vice versa for wire B.

On edit: It's a good idea to use subscripts "A" and "B" to distinguish currents and fields.

Likes mitchy16
mitchy16 said:
Wire A:
F = (L)(2I) X (B)
1/2F = (L)(I) X (B)
Wire B:
F = (L)(I) X (B)
The "bug" lies here. You need to find the force produced on wire A, (carrying current 2I), due to the field produced by by wire B(carrying current I) and vice a versa. The expressions you have used tells me, as well as it should tell you, that you have used the same B for both!?

Likes mitchy16
Let'sthink said:
The "bug" lies here. You need to find the force produced on wire A, (carrying current 2I), due to the field produced by by wire B(carrying current I) and vice a versa. The expressions you have used tells me, as well as it should tell you, that you have used the same B for both!?
OH, I understand my mistake now! Thank you so much, that clears it up.

What is the force between parallel current carrying wires?

The force between parallel current carrying wires is the force of attraction or repulsion between two wires that are placed parallel to each other and have an electric current flowing through them.

What factors affect the force between parallel current carrying wires?

The force between parallel current carrying wires is affected by the distance between the wires, the magnitude of the current flowing through the wires, and the direction of the current flow.

How is the force between parallel current carrying wires calculated?

The force between parallel current carrying wires can be calculated using the equation: F = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * L) / (2 * π * d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents flowing through the wires, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

What is the direction of the force between parallel current carrying wires?

The direction of the force between parallel current carrying wires is dependent on the direction of the current flow. If the currents are flowing in the same direction, the wires will experience an attractive force. If the currents are flowing in opposite directions, the wires will experience a repulsive force.

What are some real-life applications of the force between parallel current carrying wires?

The force between parallel current carrying wires is used in many everyday devices, such as electric motors, speakers, and transformers. It is also utilized in electromagnets and in the construction of particle accelerators.