1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field around an infinitely long wire

1. Aug 17, 2007 #1
    Hello, I am trying to integrate

[tex] \int \mu_0 I (dl X r) /4 \pi r^2 [/tex]
    in order to get the magnetic field at a point a distance R from a wire with current I. r is the distance between the differential length and the point. I integrate over the entire wire (which becomes an angle from 0 to 2 pi).

I am off by a factor of 1/pi from the correct answer of of mu_0 I/2 pi R. Is my integral or my integration wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Your integral is wrong... in the numerator it should be ([tex]\vec{dl}X\hat{r}[/tex])
    [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] is different from [tex]\vec{r}[/tex]
    [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] denotes a unit vector in the direction of [tex]\vec{r}[/tex]
  4. Aug 18, 2007 #3
    You're right. That is what I meant. I still am off by the factor of 1/pi.

I tried to change to change it to an integral with respect to an angle and got:

[tex] \mu_0 I/4\pi \int_0^{2\pi} \sin \theta d\theta r/r^2 [/tex]

Is that correct?
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  5. Aug 18, 2007 #4
    no why do u take the angle to be [tex]0[/tex] to [tex]2 \pi [/tex]
    the angles should be [tex]\theta_{1}[/tex] to [tex]\theta_{2}[/tex] where tehse are the angles made by the wire's end points with point
    in case of infinite wire they turn out to be [tex]\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] or
    [tex]\frac{- \pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] depending on how u integrate
  6. Aug 18, 2007 #5

Homework Helper

Are you mixing up the big R with the little r? If that is supposed to be r (which is varying) then the integral is wrong. And the limits should be 0 and pi.

I get [tex] \frac{\mu_0 I}{4\pi R}\int_0^{\pi} \sin \theta d\theta [/tex]

write everything in terms of R (which is constant) and [tex]\theta[/tex] and after taking all the constants outside, inside the integral you should just get [tex] sin(\theta) [/tex]

The way I did was setting:
    x = -R/tan(theta)

calculate dx (which is dl) in terms of d(theta)

also set r = R/sin(theta)

For some reason latex is messing up for me.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  7. Aug 18, 2007 #6

OK. So my integral should be

[tex] \int \mu_0 I (dl X r) /4 \pi r^2 [/tex] = [tex] \int \mu_0 I sin(\theta)dl r /4 \pi r^2 [/tex]

I just had a dtheta instead of a dl.

I am confused about your solution. I am not sure why you introduced x. Anyway I get with your trig substitution,

dx = R csc^2(x) dtheta

then all the sines cancel!
  8. Aug 18, 2007 #7

Homework Helper

There shouldn't be an r in the numerator for the fraction on the right. I think that's what's causing the trouble.
  9. Aug 18, 2007 #8
    YES! Because r-hat is the unit vector. I see. Thanks.
  10. Aug 18, 2007 #9

Homework Helper

You're welcome. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?