Magnetic Field at Center of Loop

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the strength of the magnetic field at the center of a loop in a figure. The equation used is B = Mu_0*I/(2*R), but the calculated result is incorrect. It is determined that the cable in the figure is not a simple loop and there is some overlap with a straight wire. Using superposition, the magnetic field due to the straight wire must be added to the magnetic field due to the loop.
tomizzo

Homework Statement

What is the strength of the magnetic field at the center of the loop in the figure?

See attachment

Homework Equations

B = Mu_0*I/(2*R)

The Attempt at a Solution

I plug in the information to this equation and get .00038 Tesla which is incorrect. Does the magnetic field due to a loop equation I listed above not apply to this problem?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.1 KB · Views: 611
Physics news on Phys.org
The loop is fine, but the cable is not just a simple loop...

mfb said:
The loop is fine, but the cable is not just a simple loop...

What is special about it?

Do you see the difference between the shape of the cable and a circle?

mfb said:
Do you see the difference between the shape of the cable and a circle?

There is some over lap. I thought it still fitted the formula above due to the fact that it is a coil with a single turn.

I spy with my little eye: a loop and a straight wire carrying a current!

BvU said:
I spy with my little eye: a loop and a straight wire carrying a current!

Using superposition, you will simply added the magnetic field due to the straight wire to the magnetic field due to the loop. Thank you!

Bravo! and: you're welcome.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space around a magnet or moving electric charge where a magnetic force can be detected.

How is the magnetic field at the center of a loop determined?

The magnetic field at the center of a loop is determined by the magnitude and direction of the current flowing through the loop, as well as the size and shape of the loop.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field at the center of a loop?

The strength of the magnetic field at the center of a loop is affected by the magnitude of the current, the distance from the center of the loop, and the number of turns in the loop.

What is the direction of the magnetic field at the center of a loop?

The direction of the magnetic field at the center of a loop is perpendicular to the plane of the loop, and follows the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field lines.

What are some practical applications of understanding the magnetic field at the center of a loop?

Understanding the magnetic field at the center of a loop is important in designing and operating devices such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).