Magnetic Field at Center of Single Coil-Loop

  • Thread starter Thread starter kopinator
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
kopinator
Messages
41
Reaction score
1
A single-coil loop of radius r = 6.50 mm, shown below, is formed in the middle of an infinitely long, thin, insulated straight wire carrying the current i = 29.0 mA. What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the loop?

B(loop)= μ_0_*I/2R
B(wire)= μ_0_*I/2pi*d
Superposition Principle: Bnet= ƩB

Initially, I only used B(loop) to try to find the answer but that was wrong and my homework gave me a hint about using the Superposition Principle. I can find the B(loop) but what I don't know is how to find d for the B(wire).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can use B(wire) at the distance r=radius of loop ... and work your way around the loop, adding a contribution for each segment of the loop.

By symmetry all of the contributions are the same, except that they have different orientations.

You are only required to provide an answer for the center of the loop ...