1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field at the centre of current carrying spiral

1. Dec 8, 2015 #1

Titan97

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A thin insulated wire forms a plane spiral of N turns carrying a current ##i##. The inner radius is ##b## an outer radius is ##a##. Find magnetic field at centre of spiral

2. Relevant equations
    $$B=\frac{n\mu_0i}{2R}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    For an area of ##\pi(b^2-a^2)##, number of turns is N.
    So for an elemental area of ##2\pi r dr##,number of turns ##n## is ##\frac{2rNdr}{(b^2-a^2)}##

After substing ##n##, $$dB=\frac{\mu_0 I 2Ndr}{2(b^2-a^2)}$$
    But on integrating, I am getting wrong answer

Instead of taking number of turns per unit area, if I took number turns per unit width, I got the correct answer. That is if $$n=\frac{N}{b-a}$$.

Why does the answer change?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you mean to have ##a## as the inner radius and ##b## as the outer radius?
    OK. What did you get for your final answer for ##B##?

4. Dec 9, 2015 #3

Titan97

Gold Member

typo. Inner radius is ##a## and outer radius is ##b##.

Integrating from a to b, $$B=\frac{\mu_0 i N}{b+a}$$ This is not the answer given.

5. Dec 9, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks right to me. It has the correct limit for ##a## →##b##. Hopefully someone else will confirm this or else point out our mistake.

What answer was given?

6. Dec 9, 2015 #5

Titan97

Gold Member

7. Dec 9, 2015 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah, good. Thank you. Now I see the mistake. There are, in fact, a constant number of turns per unit radial distance. Just picture the individual wraps of wire. The wire has a fixed thickness. So, there will be a fixed number of turns per unit radial distance. So, it is not the area ##2 \pi r dr## that determines the number of wraps of wire in a distance ##dr##, but rather its just the length ##dr## itself that determines the number of wraps. Sorry for not catching that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted