Magnetic field at the centre of current carrying spiral

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Titan97
Gold Member
Messages
450
Reaction score
18

Homework Statement


A thin insulated wire forms a plane spiral of N turns carrying a current ##i##. The inner radius is ##b## an outer radius is ##a##. Find magnetic field at centre of spiral

Homework Equations


$$B=\frac{n\mu_0i}{2R}$$

The Attempt at a Solution


For an area of ##\pi(b^2-a^2)##, number of turns is N.
So for an elemental area of ##2\pi r dr##,number of turns ##n## is ##\frac{2rNdr}{(b^2-a^2)}##

After substing ##n##, $$dB=\frac{\mu_0 I 2Ndr}{2(b^2-a^2)}$$
But on integrating, I am getting wrong answer

Instead of taking number of turns per unit area, if I took number turns per unit width, I got the correct answer. That is if $$n=\frac{N}{b-a}$$.

Why does the answer change?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Titan97 said:
The inner radius is ##b## an outer radius is ##a##.
Did you mean to have ##a## as the inner radius and ##b## as the outer radius?
$$dB=\frac{\mu_0 I 2Ndr}{2(b^2-a^2)}$$
OK. What did you get for your final answer for ##B##?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Titan97
typo. Inner radius is ##a## and outer radius is ##b##.

Integrating from a to b, $$B=\frac{\mu_0 i N}{b+a}$$ This is not the answer given.
 
Titan97 said:
Integrating from a to b, $$B=\frac{\mu_0 i N}{b+a}$$ This is not the answer given.

That looks right to me. It has the correct limit for ##a## →##b##. Hopefully someone else will confirm this or else point out our mistake.

What answer was given?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Titan97
Ah, good. Thank you. Now I see the mistake. There are, in fact, a constant number of turns per unit radial distance. Just picture the individual wraps of wire. The wire has a fixed thickness. So, there will be a fixed number of turns per unit radial distance. So, it is not the area ##2 \pi r dr## that determines the number of wraps of wire in a distance ##dr##, but rather its just the length ##dr## itself that determines the number of wraps. Sorry for not catching that.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Titan97