Magnetic field at the centre of current carrying spiral

In summary: But, the answer I gave you is correct. You can check it with the other answer by plugging in numbers. My answer is correct.
Titan97
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A thin insulated wire forms a plane spiral of N turns carrying a current ##i##. The inner radius is ##b## an outer radius is ##a##. Find magnetic field at centre of spiral

Homework Equations

$$B=\frac{n\mu_0i}{2R}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

For an area of ##\pi(b^2-a^2)##, number of turns is N.
So for an elemental area of ##2\pi r dr##,number of turns ##n## is ##\frac{2rNdr}{(b^2-a^2)}##

After substing ##n##, $$dB=\frac{\mu_0 I 2Ndr}{2(b^2-a^2)}$$
But on integrating, I am getting wrong answer

Instead of taking number of turns per unit area, if I took number turns per unit width, I got the correct answer. That is if $$n=\frac{N}{b-a}$$.

Why does the answer change?

Physics news on Phys.org
Titan97 said:
The inner radius is ##b## an outer radius is ##a##.
Did you mean to have ##a## as the inner radius and ##b## as the outer radius?
$$dB=\frac{\mu_0 I 2Ndr}{2(b^2-a^2)}$$
OK. What did you get for your final answer for ##B##?

Likes Titan97
typo. Inner radius is ##a## and outer radius is ##b##.

Integrating from a to b, $$B=\frac{\mu_0 i N}{b+a}$$ This is not the answer given.

Titan97 said:
Integrating from a to b, $$B=\frac{\mu_0 i N}{b+a}$$ This is not the answer given.

That looks right to me. It has the correct limit for ##a## →##b##. Hopefully someone else will confirm this or else point out our mistake.

What answer was given?

Likes Titan97
Ah, good. Thank you. Now I see the mistake. There are, in fact, a constant number of turns per unit radial distance. Just picture the individual wraps of wire. The wire has a fixed thickness. So, there will be a fixed number of turns per unit radial distance. So, it is not the area ##2 \pi r dr## that determines the number of wraps of wire in a distance ##dr##, but rather its just the length ##dr## itself that determines the number of wraps. Sorry for not catching that.

Likes Titan97

1. What is the direction of the magnetic field at the centre of a current carrying spiral?

The direction of the magnetic field at the centre of a current carrying spiral is perpendicular to the plane of the spiral. This means that the magnetic field lines form concentric circles around the centre.

2. How is the strength of the magnetic field at the centre of a current carrying spiral calculated?

The strength of the magnetic field at the centre of a current carrying spiral can be calculated using the formula B = μ₀I/2πR, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and R is the radius of the spiral.

3. Does the number of turns in the spiral affect the magnetic field at the centre?

Yes, the number of turns in the spiral does affect the magnetic field at the centre. As the number of turns increases, the magnetic field strength also increases.

4. How does the shape of the spiral affect the magnetic field at the centre?

The shape of the spiral does not have a significant impact on the magnetic field at the centre. As long as the current is evenly distributed throughout the spiral, the magnetic field will still be perpendicular to the plane of the spiral.

5. Is the magnetic field at the centre of a current carrying spiral affected by the direction of the current?

Yes, the direction of the current does affect the direction of the magnetic field at the centre of a current carrying spiral. If the current is flowing clockwise, the magnetic field will be in the opposite direction compared to if the current is flowing counterclockwise.