Magnetic Field at the centre of Spiral

In summary, there is a thin insulated wire that forms a plane spiral of N = 100 tight turns, carrying a current I = 8 mA. The radii of inside and outside turns are equal to a = 50 mm and b = 100 mm. Find the magnetic induction at the centre of the spiral and the magnetic moment of the spiral with the given current.
AGNuke
Gold Member
A thin insulated wire forms a plane spiral of N = 100 tight turns, carrying a current I = 8 mA. The radii of inside and outside turns are equal to a = 50 mm and b = 100 mm.

Find the magnetic induction at the centre of the spiral and the magnetic moment of the spiral with the given current.

This problem I searched all over but nowhere I could found any answer. Hope I'll be helped.

The figure of planar spiral is given with inner radius and outer radius as mentioned, in case anybody needs a diagram.

I first calculated the no. of turns per unit width, that would be [tex]n=\frac{N}{(100-50)mm} = 2000\;turns/m[/tex]

I know the magnetic field due to a current carrying loop with n turns,[tex]B = \frac{\mu _0ni}{2r}[/tex]

I considered a loop out of spiral of radius r and width dr, thus the total magnetic field would be the summation of all the loops from inner radius to outer radius.[tex]\int \mathrm{d}B=\int_{0.05}^{0.1} \frac{\mu _0ni}{2r}\mathrm{d}r[/tex]

I tried to calculate but I dodged the answer from a long mile, the answer is [itex]7\; \mu T[/itex]

Any Help appreciated. And if anybody do not mind, I would also like to get my question asked no too long ago answered too. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=641032

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AGNuke said:
I first calculated the no. of turns per unit width, that would be [tex]n=\frac{N}{(100-50)mm} = 0.002\;turns/m[/tex]

Watch your unit conversion here. Otherwise, everything looks good.

Its not about unit conversion. I had all done correct. The expression after integration was including ln2, which is not present in the answer.

Even if I substituted the value of pi or ln2, my answer was really off.

Your answer for n says that there are only .002 turns of wire in a radial distance of 1 meter. But you know that you have 100 turns in only 50 mm of distance.

Last edited:
Extremely sorry. Its 2000 turns/m. And the answer I got is 6.4 microTesla.[tex]B=\frac{\mu _0ni}{2}\mathrm{ln}2[/tex]

AGNuke said:
Extremely sorry. Its 2000 turns/m. And the answer I got is 6.4 microTesla.[tex]B=\frac{\mu _0ni}{2}\mathrm{ln}2[/tex]

Your expression for the answer looks correct. I don't get 6.4 microTesla.

Yeah... I got something like 6.96. Maybe my calculator was malfunctioning and I didn't bothered to recalculate it on Computer. Fault on my part.

Can you look at the question I posted long before, unfortunately no one has entertained it as of yet - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=641032

1. What is the magnetic field at the center of a spiral?

The magnetic field at the center of a spiral depends on the specific spiral geometry and the current flowing through it. In general, the field will be stronger at the center of the spiral compared to the outer edges.

2. How does the magnetic field at the center of a spiral affect nearby objects?

The magnetic field at the center of a spiral can induce currents in nearby objects, which can impact their behavior. For example, motors and generators use this phenomenon to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy.

3. Can the magnetic field at the center of a spiral be controlled?

Yes, the magnetic field at the center of a spiral can be controlled by varying the current flowing through the spiral. This is often done using a variable resistor or by adjusting the distance between the spiral and a permanent magnet.

4. How does the direction of the spiral impact the magnetic field at its center?

The direction of the spiral has a significant impact on the direction of the magnetic field at its center. For example, a clockwise spiral will have a different field direction compared to a counterclockwise spiral.

5. What are some real-world applications of the magnetic field at the center of a spiral?

The magnetic field at the center of a spiral is used in many devices, such as motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in medical imaging techniques like MRI machines and in particle accelerators for scientific research.