1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field between 2 parallel wires

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have 2 infinitely long parallel wires each carrying a charge of 1 amp in the same direction, and I have to find the magnetic field at a specific point in between them, and I know the distance to it from each of them.

2. Relevant equations
    This is what I'd like to know.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've searched through various books, & websites, and I can't find anything about the magnetic field at a point between them. Only at one of the wires. I basically just want to know what equation I have to use.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2011 #2
    What is the formula given for the magnetic field at one of the wires?

4. Nov 29, 2011 #3
    ((u)(I))/(2(pi)(d))

Where u is a constant, I is the current, and d is the distance between the wires.

5. Nov 29, 2011 #4
    The equation you have given:

B = μI/2∏d is the magnetic field strength at a distance d from a SINGLE wire.

If 2 wires have current flowing in the SAME direction then the magnetic fields between the wires are in OPPOSITE directions...... Can you take it from here ??

6. Nov 29, 2011 #5
    This is not a formula for the magnetic field "at one of the wires" as you indicated. It is the formula for the magnetic field at a distance d from the wire. This is the formula you need. The point you are interested in is at a distance d1 from one of the wires and at a possibly different distance d2 from the other wire. Calculate the two magnetic fields and then add them together. Remember that the magnetic field is a vector, so you will need to do a vector addition, not simpy add the numbers together. technician has given you a good hint in that regard.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  7. Nov 29, 2011 #6
    Thank you Jimmy..... I wish that I had used the term 'vector'..... more general than what I said

8. Nov 30, 2011 #7
    Ah thank you. It appears my physics books, and the internet are conspiring against me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook