1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field, Biot-Savart Law & Current-carrying Wire

1. Feb 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A current I carried in a conduit as described below. The wire can be assumed to be infinitely long in the positive x-direction. The point P is the radius distance a from the portion of the line that describes a semicircle. Calculate the resulting magnetic field at point P in magnitude and direction.

JgJ2qxQ.png

2. Relevant equations
    Biot-Savart Law:
    wOh4AaJ.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have calculated the magnetic field caused by the semicircle. I am not quite sure how to calculate the magnetic fields caused by the two infinitely-long wire segments. From my calculations they cancel each other out. Is this correct? Is the magnetic field caused by the semicircle correct?

I have linked my answer below:
    Page 1:http://i.imgur.com/sPh6NiO.jpg
    Page 2:http://i.imgur.com/YOSuQ95.jpg
    Page 3:http://i.imgur.com/wL1DCmv.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, Sudharshan.

You should be able to decide if the fields of the two straight line segments cancel by using the right hand rule for the direction of magnetic field of a straight section of wire.

Check your signs when setting up the expression for ##\vec{r} - \vec{r}'## in the calculation of the field of L1.

Otherwise, your calculations are very nice and complete!

4. Feb 5, 2014 #3
    Hey TSny,

Does this mean my BL1 is incorrect which leads to the fact that my total magnetic field B is incorrect? Can you specify what mistake you have found? When I calculated BL1 I was unsure about the signs of r and r'.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  5. Feb 5, 2014 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The only mistake that I see is in your expression for ##\vec{r}-\vec{r}'## for L1. In particular, what is the sign of the y component of ##\vec{r}##?

6. Feb 5, 2014 #5
    That was the sign I was not sure about. I had written r = ay. Should it not be r = a(-y) because it points in the negative Y direction hence the negative sign?

This should mean that the fields of the two straight line segments do not cancel each other because they point in the same direction with the help of the right hand rule (point towards I with thumb and curl fingers in direction of B).

7. Feb 5, 2014 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. See the attachment

Attached Files:

8. Feb 5, 2014 #7
    So it is only that negative sign that is wrong ? Do you see any other mistakes in the rest of the answer?

9. Feb 5, 2014 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

10. Feb 5, 2014 #9
    Ok, I will do this change and rewrite my answer. It would be great if you could take another look then and let me know if it is correct. Thanks again for all your help.

11. Feb 5, 2014 #10
  12. Feb 5, 2014 #11

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks correct. Nice work!

13. Feb 5, 2014 #12
    Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted