Magnetic Field, Biot-Savart Law & Current-carrying Wire

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the resulting magnetic field at a point P in magnitude and direction, with the use of the Biot-Savart Law. The individual has calculated the magnetic field caused by a semicircle, but is unsure about calculating the fields caused by two infinitely-long wire segments and whether they cancel each other out. After reviewing their calculations and using the right hand rule, it is determined that there was a sign error in the calculation of one of the wire segments, but the rest of the answer is correct.
Sudharshan

Homework Statement

A current I carried in a conduit as described below. The wire can be assumed to be infinitely long in the positive x-direction. The point P is the radius distance a from the portion of the line that describes a semicircle. Calculate the resulting magnetic field at point P in magnitude and direction.

JgJ2qxQ.png

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart Law:
wOh4AaJ.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the magnetic field caused by the semicircle. I am not quite sure how to calculate the magnetic fields caused by the two infinitely-long wire segments. From my calculations they cancel each other out. Is this correct? Is the magnetic field caused by the semicircle correct?

I have linked my answer below:
Page 1:http://i.imgur.com/sPh6NiO.jpg
Page 2:http://i.imgur.com/YOSuQ95.jpg
Page 3:http://i.imgur.com/wL1DCmv.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Sudharshan.

You should be able to decide if the fields of the two straight line segments cancel by using the right hand rule for the direction of magnetic field of a straight section of wire.

Check your signs when setting up the expression for ##\vec{r} - \vec{r}'## in the calculation of the field of L1.

Otherwise, your calculations are very nice and complete!

Hey TSny,

Does this mean my BL1 is incorrect which leads to the fact that my total magnetic field B is incorrect? Can you specify what mistake you have found? When I calculated BL1 I was unsure about the signs of r and r'.

Last edited:
The only mistake that I see is in your expression for ##\vec{r}-\vec{r}'## for L1. In particular, what is the sign of the y component of ##\vec{r}##?

That was the sign I was not sure about. I had written r = ay. Should it not be r = a(-y) because it points in the negative Y direction hence the negative sign?

This should mean that the fields of the two straight line segments do not cancel each other because they point in the same direction with the help of the right hand rule (point towards I with thumb and curl fingers in direction of B).

Sudharshan said:
That was the sign I was not sure about. I had written r = ay. Should it not be r = a(-y) because it points in the negative Y direction hence the negative sign?

Yes. See the attachment

Attachments

• r vector2.png
    r vector2.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 692
So it is only that negative sign that is wrong ? Do you see any other mistakes in the rest of the answer?

Ok, I will do this change and rewrite my answer. It would be great if you could take another look then and let me know if it is correct. Thanks again for all your help.

Looks correct. Nice work!

Thank you.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space around a magnet or current-carrying wire where magnetic forces can be felt. It is represented by lines of force and is measured in units of tesla (T).

2. What is the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is a mathematical equation that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady current-carrying wire. It states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the magnitude of the current, the length of the wire, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the point. This law is named after Jean-Baptiste Biot and Félix Savart, who first described it in the 19th century.

3. How is the direction of a magnetic field determined?

The direction of a magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow, the curl of your fingers will indicate the direction of the magnetic field lines.

4. What is the relationship between current and magnetic field strength?

The strength of a magnetic field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the current. This means that the stronger the current, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

5. How does a current-carrying wire create a magnetic field?

When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. This is due to the movement of the electrons in the wire, which creates a magnetic dipole moment. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the current flow.