1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field due to a current loop

1. Mar 3, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Magnetic Field due to a current loop

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A single loop of wire of radius 3 cm carries a current of 2.6 A. What is the magnitude of B on the axis of the loop at 2 cm?

2. Relevant equations

B=[tex]\mu[/tex]/(4[tex]\pi[/tex]) * 2[tex]\pi[/tex](R^2)*I/(z^2+R^2)^(3/2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I = 2.6 A
    R = .03 m
    z = .02m

I calculate .000031 T
    It should just be a simple matter of plugging in numbers, but every time I use this equation it ends up being wrong. If anyone could tell me what I might be doing wrong it would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks OK to me. Why do you think it's wrong?
  4. Mar 3, 2008 #3
    It is computerized homework, so when I put in the answer that I calculated it keeps telling me that it is wrong. I have done the same thing with multiple different distances, and they all come up wrong, so I believe that it is something that I am doing, I am just not sure what
  5. Mar 3, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Those online systems can be flaky. I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Your equation is correct and your answer is correct.

Things to check: Are you sure they want the answer in Teslas? How many sig figs does the system like?
  6. Mar 3, 2008 #5
    I finally figured it out. It turns out that the system decided it wanted it in scientific notation. Thanks for your help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?