Magnetic field due to parallelnwires

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic field at a point on the xy-plane due to two parallel wires carrying opposite currents. The solution involves using the field equation for a long wire and considering the symmetry of the situation. The maximum gradient occurs when y equals a over the square root of 3.
vs5813
Magnetic field due to parallel wires

Homework Statement

Two very long thin wires carrying equal and opposite currents +/-I are p laced parallel to the x-axis at y=0 and z=+/-a. Find an expression for B field at a point P in the xy-plane (z=0) and show that its maximum gradient occurs for y = a/sqrt(3).

Homework Equations

Field due to long wire at distance d away:
B=(mu_0*I)/(2*PI*d)

The Attempt at a Solution

By symmetry, i expect B field components to cancel except in y direction..So i end up getting total field:
B=B_y=(mu_0*I)/(PI*d) * cos(theta)
where theta is the angle that d makes to the y axis. Because of geometry of situation, this is equivalent to saying:
B=B_y=(mu_0*I*y)/(PI*d^2)
Then for the gradient to be maximized, I need maximum of:
dB/dtheta=-(mu_0*I)/(PI*d) * sin(theta)
...which should occur when sin(theta) is a max...but i don't understand how i could show that the maximum is for y = a/sqrt(3) :confused: any thoughts..? :redface: thankyou!

Attachments

• forumpic.bmp
    88.2 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct about symmetry. You can write down the magnetic field as a function of y only in the x-y plane. Then, I suspect, you can take the derivative with respect to y (TWICE) to find the maximum in the gradient. The maximum field strength on the x-y plane is trivial by symmetry (the origin).

Closer to your proposed approach, this means you need to acknowledge that in the function you wrote down, "d" and "theta" are related. (You can probably write them as a function of one another, and y.) (for example, you know the angle between d must approach zero and d gets longer and longer)...

1. What is the equation for calculating the magnetic field due to parallel wires?

The equation for calculating the magnetic field due to parallel wires is given by: B = (μ0*I)/(2π*d) where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wire, and d is the distance between the wires.

2. How does the distance between parallel wires affect the magnetic field?

The magnetic field decreases as the distance between the parallel wires increases. This is because the magnetic field is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires, according to the equation B = (μ0*I)/(2π*d).

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field due to parallel wires?

The direction of the magnetic field due to parallel wires is determined by the right-hand rule. If the current is flowing in the same direction in both wires, the magnetic field will be directed towards the other wire. If the currents are flowing in opposite directions, the magnetic field will be directed away from the other wire.

4. Can the magnetic field due to parallel wires be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the magnetic field due to parallel wires to be zero. This can occur if the currents in the wires are equal and opposite, or if the wires are placed at a specific distance from each other where the magnetic field strengths cancel out.

5. How does the current in the wires affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current in the wires. This means that as the current increases, the magnetic field also increases, according to the equation B = (μ0*I)/(2π*d).