1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field due to Time Dependent Current

1. Apr 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A long, straight, copper wire has a circular cross section with radius R, resistivity p and permittivity ε. If the current through the wire at any time t is sin(ωt) amperes, find the magnitude of the magnetic field B at time t a distance r from the centre of the wire for r > R.

2. Relevant equations
    Ampere's Law:
    μI = Bdl
    Possibly Law of Biot-Savart:
    B = μ/4π * (Idl x r)/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    μI = Bdl
    μ(sin(ωt))=B*dl (Since they are parallel)
    μ(sin(ωt))=Bdl (Since B is constant radially around conductor)

This is where I reach a bottleneck. I don't know how to incorporate ε (since this is a magnetic field). I assume resistivity would be used in calculating the current I, but I don't know how that ties into the sinusoidal function.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2014 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

maybe you don't need to use ##\epsilon## and ##\rho##. Also, you have already used a certain kind of assumption about ##\epsilon## and ##\rho## to get your answer. So maybe the question is hoping that you will explicitly state this assumption about ##\epsilon## and ##\rho##.

Your answer is essentially a kind of quasi-static approximation. (Not the most general answer for this question). But you have implicitly used the fact that copper is a good conductor, and assumed a certain relationship between ##\omega##, ##\epsilon## and ##\rho##. I'm not sure if that was your deliberate intention, or if you missed a few steps. But I think you have the answer they were looking for, but maybe without explaining under what approximation this answer will work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted