Biot-Savart Law For Calculating Net Magnetic Field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
Ignitia
Messages
21
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement


Two long wires, one of which has a semicircular bend of radius R, are positioned as shown in the accompanying figure. If both wires carry a current I, how far apart must their parallel sections be so that the net magnetic field at P is zero? Does the current in the straight wire flow up or down?

68161-12-21PEI1.png

Homework Equations


[/B]
Vector of Magnetic Field:

B = μo /4π ∫ I * (dL X rΛ) / r2

rΛ is a vector. (no symbol available for it)

Magnitude of Magnetic Field:
B = (μo/4π) ∫ I*R*dθ/R2

μo = 4π*10-7 T * m/A

The Attempt at a Solution



Okay, since wires have a 'parallel' parts, they cancel out, leaving only the semicircle and second wire needed to be calculated. Current on 1st wire heads upward, so Right Hand Rule indicates the field going inward at P from the semicircle. To cancel out, the field on the straight wire has to go outward - right hand rule says I should be upward as well. (Correct?)

B for semicircle:
B = (μo/4π) ∫ I*R*dθ/R2
B = (I*μo/4π)/R ∫dθ

∫dθ = π

so: B = (I*μo/4π)/R

Now I have to find -B with respect of the second current I with r = a, and add them together to get the answer.

B = (μo/4π) ∫ I*a*dθ/a2
B = (I*μo/4π)/R ∫dθ

∫dθ = 0

Meaning B = 0, which I know is not correct. Help?
 
Attachments
  • 68161-12-21PEI1.png
    68161-12-21PEI1.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,958
Physics news on Phys.org
Ignitia said:
I should be upward as well. (Correct?)
Seems OK to me
Ignitia said:
of the second current I with r = a
What is the B field from an infinite straight current carrying wire ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ignitia
Ignitia said:
B = (I*μo/4π)/R ∫dθ

∫dθ = π

so: B = (I*μo/4π)/R
The π in the denominator of the last equation cancels with the π from the integral.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ignitia and BvU
kuruman said:
The π in the denominator of the last equation cancels with the π from the integral.
Woops, missed that. Thanks.

BvU said:
Seems OK to me
What is the B field from an infinite straight current carrying wire ?

okay, got it. Infinite wire simplifies to B = μ0 * I / 2πa

So B1 - B2

μ0 * I / 4R - μ0 * I / 2πa = 0

μ0 * I / 4R = μ0 * I / 2πa

4R = 2πa

2R/π = a

Thanks!