Biot-Savart Law with two semi-circles

In summary, the magnetic field at point P can be determined by using the equations B = μ/(4π) ∫ (I*dl x r)/r2 and Btot = Ba - Bb, where Ba and Bb represent the magnetic fields from two concentric circular arcs with radii a and b, respectively. The final result is Btot = μI/(4a) - μI/(4b). This is only half of the correct answer, as the full field would be the result of two circular loops with the same current in opposite directions.
Ignitia

Homework Statement

The accompanying figure shows a current loop consisting of two concentric circular arcs and two perpendicular radial lines. Determine the magnetic field at point P.
CNX_UPhysics_29_08_Pr03_img.jpg

Homework Equations

B = μ/(4π) ∫ (I*dl x r)/r2

Btot = Ba - Bb

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a:
Ba = μ/(4π) ∫ (I*a*dθ)/a2
Ba = μI/(4πa) ∫dθ
Ba = μI/(4πa) * π
Ba = μI/(4a)

For part b:
Bb = μ/(4π) ∫ (I*b*dθ)/b2
Bb = μI/(4πb) ∫dθ
Bb = μI/(4πb) * π
Bb = μI/(4b)

So, for Btot = μI/(4a) - μI/(4b) which is only one half of the correct answer. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between a steady electric current and the magnetic field it produces.

How does the Biot-Savart Law apply to two semi-circles?

The Biot-Savart Law can be applied to calculate the magnetic field produced by two semi-circular current-carrying wires. This is often used to model the magnetic field around a circular loop of wire, which can then be used to calculate the magnetic force on a charged particle moving through the loop.

What are the key variables in the Biot-Savart Law?

The key variables in the Biot-Savart Law are the magnitude and direction of the current, the distance from the current element to the point in space where the magnetic field is being calculated, and the angle between the current element and the line connecting it to the point in space.

How is the Biot-Savart Law derived?

The Biot-Savart Law is derived from the principles of electromagnetism, specifically Ampere's Law, which states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is proportional to the current passing through the loop. The Biot-Savart Law takes this concept and applies it to a current element, allowing for the calculation of the magnetic field at any point in space.

What are some real-world applications of the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law has many practical applications, including in the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in research and development of magnetic levitation technology, as well as in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).