Magnetic field from an infinite sheet of charge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
gonzalesdp
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



you have an infinite sheet of charge in the xy plane, with surfance charge density [tex]\sigma[/tex], that is moving with a velocity [tex]\vec{}v[/tex] = v[tex]\hat{}i[/tex]. Show that the magnetic fiel at some location above the plane (x,y,z,) = (x,y,h,) is given by

[tex]\vec{}B[/tex] = -(1/2)[tex]\mu<sub>o</sub>[/tex][tex]\sigma[/tex]v[tex]\vec{}[/tex]

Homework Equations



B = [tex]\mu[/tex]oi/2piR

The magnetic field from an infinite wire a distance r away from it.

The Attempt at a Solution



I know I have to integrate along the y axis. I also know that there is some cancelation due to symetry and only the j hat componets are left. I'm having trouble relating v, i, and [tex]\sigma[/tex]

Thank you in advance for any help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry about the formating of the answer. It's my first attempt at using the tools.

if it helps

B = (-1/2) mu_o sigma v
in the j hat direction.