1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E field for an semi-infinite sheet of charge

1. Apr 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have a sheet of charge, which is infinite in the x direction and has width d in the y direction.
    Find E field at a height h above the center line of the sheet. The sheet has λs surface charge density.

My attempt:

We know that the E field for an infinite wire is λl / 2πrε in the radial direction.
    We treat the semi-infinite sheet as if it was composed of infinite wires with width dy and λl = λs dy

Therefore,

dE for an infinite wire = (λs dy) / (2πrε) in r direction, where r is a unit vector from the wire to the observation point.
    For each infinite wire, vector r = -y y + h z where y and z are the unit vectors.
    Therefore, r = ( -y y + h z ) / sqrt(y2 + h2)
    and
    dE = [(λs dy) / (2πr2ε)] ( -y y + h z )

= [(λs dy) / (2πε(y2 + h2)] ( -y y + h z )

From symetry reasons I know that the E field wield be in the z direction, so I discard the y part:

dE = [(λs dy) / (2πε(y2 + h2)] (h z )

I integrate [(λs dy) / (2πε(y2 + h2)] (h z ) from y = -d/2 to d/2

= (λs h z) / (2πε) integral of (dy / y2 + h2)

completing the integration I get:

s h z) / (πε) ) atan(d/2h)

but the h factor shouldn't be there because it shouldn't depend on the height of the observation point.

Where is the mistake?

(I have done it another way here https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4279144&postcount=7 but I don't see where is the mistake)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Something went wrong in there. Pls post those steps in detail.

4. Apr 11, 2013 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

The h factor only goes away in the case of an infinite plane (infinite length and infinite width). What you have is a "wide" wire of infinite length, and as h ->∞, the result approaches that of a field from an "thin" infinite wire.

5. Apr 11, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

True, but the fact remains that factor h should not be there. It gives the wrong limit as h tends to infinity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted