Magnetic Field inside a current carrying wire

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the magnetic field at the center of a cable with a small hole drilled on it, given the diameter of the cable and the distance between the axis of the cable and the hole. The question of which direction the magnetic field is pointing is raised, and it is suggested to use Ampere's law and Biot Savart law to calculate the field. It is also mentioned that the magnetic field inside the hole must be perpendicular to the direction of current flow, and that the hole should be treated differently from a hole in the center of a solenoid. The idea of reconstructing the current by superposition of simpler geometries is also brought up as a possible solution.
darkar

Homework Statement

A cable with given diameter D1 is given, a small hole with diameter D2 is drilled on it. The axis of them are parallel and the distance between the axis are given as r. There is a uniform steady current density flowing through it. How to calculate the magnetic field at the center of cable and center of the hole?

I have problem on how to start with the question. I am not sure which point the magnetic field is pointing and also, if i use ampere's law, i m using the closed path including outside. Thinking of Using Biot Savart law, but still i m having trouble in figuring out the direction of magnetic field.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, i just rethink again, maybe i should first use Amperes law to find the relationship of magnetic field inside the wire, then use superposition of the de-magnetic field due to the hole and add them up together.#

Just a guess, is the magnetic field still a circle inside the wire? (assuming no hole in this case).

Just a guess, is the magnetic field still a circle inside the wire? (assuming no hole in this case).
Yes, the magnetic field is "always" a closed loop... regardless of "everything"...

, if i use ampere's law, i m using the closed path including outside.
Not quite right... you want to know the B field inside the hole, therefore the closed path
shall not fall outside the inner diameter... if that is the case, what can you conclude from
this?

Thinking of Using Biot Savart law,
If you want to use Biot Savart law, the B field must perpendicular to the direction of
the current flow, however, since the current is surrounding you, you could argue that
the B field could not point to any of these direction otherwise the whole picture is not
"symmetric" anymore, thus the field must be zero.

sorry to hijack the thread but i am doing a question very similar to darkar's and am just wondering; do you use a closed curve centred on the axis of the wire or on the centre of the hole to work out the magnetic field in the hole? My guess would be the centre of the hole, but do you consider the hole to be similar, for example, to the hole in the centre of a solenoid or do you treat it completely differently?

HINT: Can you reconstruct the current flowing through the given cable by a superposition of currents flowing through simpler geometries?

1. What is a magnetic field inside a current carrying wire?

A magnetic field is a force field that is created by moving electric charges, such as the flow of current through a wire. It is represented by lines that show the direction and strength of the force exerted by the field.

2. How is the direction of a magnetic field inside a current carrying wire determined?

The direction of a magnetic field inside a current carrying wire is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current flow, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field lines.

3. Does the strength of the current affect the magnetic field inside a wire?

Yes, the strength of the current affects the strength of the magnetic field inside a wire. The stronger the current, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

4. Can the direction of the magnetic field inside a wire be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field inside a wire can be changed by changing the direction of the current flow. This can be done by reversing the polarity of the source of the current or by physically changing the direction of the wire.

5. How does the distance from the wire affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field inside a wire decreases as the distance from the wire increases. This is because the magnetic field lines spread out as they move away from the wire, resulting in a weaker magnetic field at a greater distance.