Magnetic Field near a curving infinite wire in 3d space

In summary: Thanks again!In summary, the problem is to determine the magnetic field at a specific point due to a current carrying wire of infinite length bent at various points. The Biot-Savart law and the equation B = μ0I/2πr can be used to find the magnetic field at each segment, and then these fields can be added to get the total magnetic field at the given point.
speedofdark8

Homework Statement

Problem as given: A three-dimensional wire of infinite length carries a current I0 starting at (-∞,0,0) along a straight line to (0,0,0), bending and traveling along a straight line to (0,1,0), then bending and traveling to (0,1,1) and finally bending and traveling out to (∞,1,1). Determine the magnetic field at (0,0,1).

Homework Equations

Possibly using |B| = μ0I/2∏r ? Not sure whether/how to combine the fields of the different segments using this general formula for the B-field of a current carrying wire.

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't seen a problem like this in our class, so I'm mostly fishing for a start. I am aware of finding the magnetic B field of a current carrying wire using the equation above, but we never talked about a wire oriented in space with coordinates as such. To start, I would assume the wire is bent at a 90 degree angle at each given point where applicable, find the magnetic field of each segment, and from there I am not too sure where to go.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi speedofdark8! welcome to pf! :smile:
speedofdark8 said:
A three-dimensional wire of infinite length carries a current I0 starting at (-∞,0,0) along a straight line to (0,0,0), bending and traveling along a straight line to (0,1,0), then bending and traveling to (0,1,1) and finally bending and traveling out to (∞,1,1). Determine the magnetic field at (0,0,1).

Possibly using |B| = μ0I/2∏r ? Not sure whether/how to combine the fields of the different segments using this general formula for the B-field of a current carrying wire.

yes, find the individual fields, and add them :wink:

integrate the Biot-Savart law for the short sections

(you can probably see how to get it from B = μoI/2πr for the long sections)

I am not familiar with the Biot Savart Law. For the other sections though, would I be correct with the equation I posted earlier?

Thank you for the replys. I have since gotten together with some classmates and we found a solution.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a physical phenomenon that is created by moving electric charges. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is typically represented by lines of force.

How is the magnetic field near a curving infinite wire in 3d space determined?

The magnetic field near a curving infinite wire in 3d space can be determined by using the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field near a curving infinite wire in 3d space?

The strength of the magnetic field near a curving infinite wire in 3d space is affected by the current flowing through the wire, the distance from the wire, and the angle of the wire's curvature. It is also affected by any other nearby objects or magnetic fields that may interact with it.

How is the direction of the magnetic field near a curving infinite wire in 3d space determined?

The direction of the magnetic field near a curving infinite wire in 3d space is determined by the right-hand rule. If the thumb of the right hand points in the direction of the current, the fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the magnetic field near a curving infinite wire in 3d space?

Understanding the magnetic field near a curving infinite wire in 3d space is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and electronics. It is used in designing and optimizing electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also utilized in medical imaging techniques such as MRI machines.