1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field near a curving infinite wire in 3d space

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem as given: A three-dimensional wire of infinite length carries a current I0 starting at (-∞,0,0) along a straight line to (0,0,0), bending and travelling along a straight line to (0,1,0), then bending and travelling to (0,1,1) and finally bending and travelling out to (∞,1,1). Determine the magnetic field at (0,0,1).

2. Relevant equations

Possibly using |B| = μ0I/2∏r ? Not sure whether/how to combine the fields of the different segments using this general formula for the B-field of a current carrying wire.

3. The attempt at a solution

I haven't seen a problem like this in our class, so I'm mostly fishing for a start. I am aware of finding the magnetic B field of a current carrying wire using the equation above, but we never talked about a wire oriented in space with coordinates as such. To start, I would assume the wire is bent at a 90 degree angle at each given point where applicable, find the magnetic field of each segment, and from there I am not too sure where to go.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi speedofdark8! welcome to pf! :smile:
    yes, find the individual fields, and add them :wink:

integrate the Biot-Savart law for the short sections

(you can probably see how to get it from B = μoI/2πr for the long sections)

4. Apr 27, 2012 #3
    I am not familiar with the Biot Savart Law. For the other sections though, would I be correct with the equation I posted earlier?

5. Apr 27, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Apr 29, 2012 #5
    Thank you for the replys. I have since gotten together with some classmates and we found a solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook